When 16 year old Lane Speer's father dies from cancer, her mother is remarried to a Mormon guy. Lane, still wracked with grief from her father's death, is extremely displeased with the situation.
But quickly things get even worse, when her mother and new step-father go on a honeymoon, Lane must stay with her step-father's family, who are also part of the LDS Church, for three weeks. She tries to settle in, but when her 12-year old step-cousin, Phoebe, who has anxiety, is pressured into going to a Mormon girls' camp, she steps in and decides to go with her.
This film provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Phoebe is a cute, small, incredibly smart girl. She also has anxiety, making her an interesting, quirky character that you just want to hug.
- Adult Fear: When everyone sees that the camp was destroyed, then realize that Phoebe, the youngest member of camp, and daughter of one of the counselors, is no around here, you can see this fear on faces of her mother, other adults, and Lane.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The handsome rangers everyone encounters on the hike. They tell the crew about how there have recently been bear sightings, and how to react depending on the bear. Of course, a bear shows up. Had it not been for them, Lane, Phoebe, and Bree probably wouldn't have survived the movie.
- Then, near the end of the movie, they show up again with Roxy, who was presumed dead up until that point.
- Cute Bookworm: Phoebe knows a large amount of random facts, is good at math, and of course, knows her Bible trivia. Don't forget, this is a story that takes place in a Mormon girls' camp.
- Deadpan Snarker: Phoebe, of all people.Phoebe: You guys are pathetic.
- Disney Death: Phoebe's dog, Roxy, is presumed to have been eaten by the grizzly bear that destroyed the camp. At the end of the movie, a ranger shows up with Roxy, who is perfectly fine.
- Disappeared Dad: Lane's father.
- Finale Title Drop: Lane drops the title at the end.Lane: No matter what happens in my life, I will be proud to say that once I was a Beehive.
- Nice Girl: Main character Lane definitely qualifies.. She has some moments where she's not as kind as she should be, but she really tries to be nice to everyone around, even when this community is new and strange for her. On top of that, the main reason for her to go to camp was to cheer up her new step-cousin, who was extremely anxious about the camp. Some of the other girls also count.
- Odango Hair: Mindy generally wears her hair like this.
- Raiders of the Lost Parody:
- Shout-Out: A few.