Wealthy socialite Tom Collier (Dennis Morgan) is bored by his father's aspirations for him and by his elitist crowd. His life changes when he meets commercial photographer Christie Sage (Ann Sheridan), even making his way to work with Christie and be near her, but Christie eventually refuses Tom's proposal of marriage and leaves for Mexico to pursue her photography as a fine artist. During her absence, the rebounding Tom marries gold-digging and manipulative Cecelia Henry (Alexis Smith), who plans to mold him to her own wishes. Christie returns from Mexico, realizing that she has made a mistake and that she loves Tom, but it's too late. Cecelia schemes to separate Tom from Christie, from his magazine work, and ultimately from his principles. Tom must decide whether to publish an exposé on corrupt defense contractors which will compromise many of his father's rich friends.
This film features examples of:
- Dead Sparks: Although there may be some sparks thrown here and there, it becomes clear that after their initial attraction, Tom and Cecelia really don't like each other much.
- Gold Digger: Cecelia hooks up with Tom clearly to mooch off of his money and status.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Tom is determined not to be like his father, and he isn't for the most part.
- Love Triangle: Christie loves Tom, Tom loves Cecelia (or so he thinks), and Cecelia loves Tom. Tom then chooses to be with Christie.
- Manipulative Bastard: It's apparent that Cecelia manipulates Tom do what she wants, but he finally realizes this and leaves her for Christie.
- Will They or Won't They?: Will Tom come back to Christie? He does.