Apple White always knew that her destiny was to be the next Snow White and marry her Prince Charming. Alas, life has different plans. As she grows, Apple finds herself more interested in her female friends than her future husband. She doesn't think much of this at first and is in no rush to date Daring yet. This changes after she's awoken by True Love's Kiss, but it turns out not to be the person she had hoped it would be.
You Built This House is themed upon Apple White coming to terms with her sexuality. It features spoilers for both Dragon Games and Epic Winter, which are important to the plot.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Bi the Way: Darling casually comes out to Apple when she mentions her new girlfriend.
- Coming-Out Story: The fanfic is themed around Apple White realizing and coming to terms with being lesbian.
- Dude Magnet: On her first day of high school, Darling ends up surrounded by boys within 15 minutes.
- Femininity Failure: As a child, Darling wasn't used to dresses and heels. Meeting Apple White was awkward because she could barely walk. Darling also almost bowed instead of curtseyed.
- Apple spends a lot of time avoiding the obvious about herself, in part because she's afraid of how it'll affect her destiny and also in part because the thought of being gay and ruining everyone's expectations scares her.
- Darling came out to her mother at thirteen but her mother reacted negatively and told her it was just a phase. This caused Darling to feel guilty about her attraction to girls.
- Homoerotic Dream: Apple has one about skinny-dipping in a pool with Raven. She freaks out and tries to ignore it, but she has another similar dream the following week.
- Incompatible Orientation: Apple is in love with her best friend Raven, who doesn't like her that way and is in love with Dexter. After Apple confesses to Raven it doesn't hurt their friendship. If anything, it helps Apple to move on.
- Love at First Sight:
- Subverted. Apple thought meeting her prince charming would be this way, but she finds herself unimpressed with either Charming brother. She is very interested in the Charming daughter, but it's childish infatuation rather than love.
- Apple is smitten by Raven at first sight but she doesn't recognize it as romantic until much later.
- Mentor in Queerness: Darling acts like one to Apple, who is also her love interest. Apple is deep in denial but they're destined to be together.
- Original Character: Caleb Batterson, son of Casey from Casey at the Bat, and the Shumaker siblings from The Elves And The Shoemaker.
- Puppy Love: Apple had a crush on Darling when they were younger. Darling also liked Apple back and was jealous at Daring for being Apple's true love.
- She's All Grown Up: After not having seen Darling since childhood, Apple has this reaction at seeing her as a teenager:"No wonder you didn't recognize her at first. Like her brother, she's done some serious growing up. Puberty has been kind to the Charming family. You're a little surprised to see her here, but not disappointed."