Derpy Hoove is a diligent mailmare but on this particular day she's decided to take a day off from work. It's too important a day to miss. On this day, she's decided to throw her daughter Dinky a birthday party. When Dinky comes home she's immediately suspicious (especially since her birthday isn't for several months). As it turns out, Dinky is being taken away by Foal Protections Services that day.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Dinky is taken away and put into a foster home, and Derpy quits her job, but the two keep in touch through letters.
- Department of Child Disservices: Derpy's daughter is taken by child services because, according to them, her mental disability makes her an unfit parent. The problem is that the only issue Derpy seems to have is a speech disorder. There's nothing to suggest that she's having any issue taking care of her daughter or that her disabilities impair her life somehow.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: This fanfic was written during season 1. Derpy has a speech disorder, which was later disproven in canon.
- Glass-Shattering Sound: It's mentioned that Scootaloo tried to hit a high note and broke a window.
- Happily Adopted: One year later, Dinky seems happy with her new foster parents.
- Meaningful Rename: Dinky Hooves ends up fostered and renamed Dinky Daybreaker.
- Parental Title Characterization: Dinky uses "Mom" and "Dad" for her foster parents, but only her biological mother Derpy is "Mommy" to her.
- Related in the Adaptation: Derpy is Dinky's mother. In canon, this hasn't been proven.
- Shout-Out: One of Derpy's lines is "It's dangerous to go alone" from The Legend of Zelda.