The Turning Of A Page is an Alternate Universe Fic made by RockSunner, for Miraculous Ladybug. Part of the Smart Adversaries AU for Miraculous Ladybug on AO3, in which Ladybug villains make smarter decisions. The series has a tropes page here.
This is a 16-chapter work and it is now completed.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Alternate Timeline: The result of a wish that changes the past.
- Alternate Universe Fic: A What If? with the change that Adrien Agreste noticed and took the Peacock Miraculous from his father's safe in Volpina.
- Antihero: Adrien becomes an adversary to Ladybug because of partial information learned through the Peacock powers.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Adrien gets a wish with unintended consequences. Lampshaded with a reference to The Monkey's Paw.
- Big Damn Heroes: Subverted. Adrien as the Peacock hero Le Paon only serves as a distraction to allow the Damsel in Distress to transform into a superhero and save the day.
- Played straight when Adrien is rescued by Rena Rouge.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ladybug and Chat Noir never existed in the new timeline. Gabriel never became a criminal because his wife was never lost. Marinette has traumatic memories of her kidnapping. Marinette and Adrien will work their way back to a better relationship.
- Evil All Along: Nathalie is a master villain who nearly wins in the new timeline.
- Faking the Dead: Le Paon decoys Befana (and helps preserve Marinette's secret identity) by using his transformation power on a large chunk of coal, turning it into a realistic statue of Marinette.
- Glory Days: Adrien and Marinette are the only ones who remember the timeline when they were superheroes. The desire to talk about old times is what finally gets them back together.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Le Paon is generally regarded as a villain after Alya catches him breaking into Marinette's room.
- Poor Communication Kills: Chat Noir is Locked Out of the Loop on important secrets by Master Fu, allowing his distrust to build until he makes a terrible decision.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Adrien, as the maker of the wish, has memories of the old timeline. Marinette recovers her old memories, too.
- Secret Identity: Adrien juggles two superhero identities (Chat Noir and Le Paon) plus his normal life.
- Stations of the Canon: The chapters follow episodes in release sequence until it suddenly doesn't when a wish creates a new timeline.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Adrien gets a big one from Marinette towards the end for a wish to save his mother that ends up getting Marinette kidnapped.