Giovanni and Myamoto were two up-and-coming members of Team Rocket when Myamoto was lost in the Andes. Unwilling to live on without Myamoto in his life, Giovanni takes it upon himself to clone her.
Team Rocket has much experience with cloning. Years ago they tried (and failed) to turn Growlithe into a stronger "Super-Canine". Their next experiment, cloning humans, was more successful. Pokemon R.N. Joy Happenstance and Commissioner Jennifer Justicia of the Viridian City Police Department were cloned successfully, which is where the Nurse Joy's and Officer Jenny's originate from.
Inspired by previous cloning and the news of a scientist who tried to clone his own child, Giovanni creates "MyamotoTwo". This is only the first part of his cloning project.
Written in early 2000, The Myamoto Project is one of the earliest fan-works to be themed around Jessie's mother Miyamoto. It was even published before much was even known about the Birth of Mewtwo drama amongst the English-speaking community. As a result it has inconsistencies with canon.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Jessie is given the middle name "Mushashi" and surname "Lillis". Likewise, Myamoto's surname is "Lillis".
- James is given the middle name "Kojiro" and surname "Rochester".
- Butch is given the middle name "Kosaburo" and the surname "Anheiser".
- Bittersweet Ending: Giovanni is stopped, but at the cost of three lives, including Tracey and Myamoto's. Jessie is traumatized and sent to a mental institution, but she's shown starting to recover in the end.
- Clones Are People, Too: The cloning of Jenny's, Joy's, Roy's, and Kenny's is sponsored by councils of a few of the major cities and by the older Joys and Jennys themselves. Yet, they are all raised as if they're "normal" people, not clones. Their family heritage isn't even revealed until they're nearing middle aged. It's mentioned that the cloning is so successful specifically because they aren't exact replicas of the original humans.
- Dark Fic: In this fanfic, Giovanni plans on creating super soldiers using the likeness of Jessie's deceased mother.
- Death by Adaptation: In Birth of Mewtwo, Miyamoto is shown to still be alive and sending messages back to HQ, but she's undergone a Sanity Slippage due to her obsession with finding Mew and won't come back until she finds it. In The Myamoto Project, Myamoto died in the Andes years ago.
- The Lost Lenore: Giovanni's unrequited affections for Myamoto drive him to clone her.
- Parental Incest: Defied with Giovanni and MyamotoTwo. Myamoto sees Giovanni as her father figure. Giovanni briefly thought of using her as a replacement for the original Myamoto, but he quickly decided that she was just a shadow of his deceased love.
- Replacement Goldfish: Subverted with MyamotoTwo. Giovanni only briefly entertains the idea of using her as one for Myamoto. To him, she's not a real human and is just an Expendable Clone.
- Shock and Awe: After being spliced with a Jolteon, James gains electricity powers.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- Likely due to translation issues, Jessie's mother is named "Myamoto". Her name is supposed to be "Miyamoto".
- Likewise, "Musashi" is written incorrectly as "Mushashi".
- Tomato in the Mirror: Aside from the original generations, Joy's and Jenny's aren't told that they're clones until they're at least 37.