Shadow of Zero by Mizuki_Stone (also available at Fanfiction.net) is a crossover fanfic between Dungeons & Dragons and The Familiar of Zero. Also has a concurrently written sequel set during the Fifth Grail War.
LevethixMoxt, serpent king in the guise of a drow, was on the wrong end of a manhunt when a green portal appeared before him and he decided to take possible death over guaranteed death. On the other end, Louise Vallière finds that she has apparently summoned an elf. It is a new world for both and things are going to be quite unusual.
Partway through the story, the author decided to make a rewrite, In the Shadow of Zero, (also now at Fanfiction.net) declaring that he had written himself into a corner with certain events in the first take. Please kindly separate the tropes according to the headers below. Also has a sequel, featuring Lev in Fate/stay night, Dissonance Record: Path G
Tropes applicable to both:
- Always Chaotic Evil: Drow, Dark Elves, and Chromatic Dragons. Though the latter is explained in story as being largely due to the fact that during their formative years, dragons only have their genetic memories to base their moral compasses on. And if the parents are evil...
- Badass Bookworm: Wizard. Dragon. And his Wizard Spells reach the Fifth Level. For reference, that means that he's at least tenth level in Wizard which is about the level where people all across the country know that you know your shit.
- Bewarethe Nice Ones: Lev really prefers to sit around and study, and to deal with problems by talking. Piss him off, and prepare for a reminder that he is a freaking dragon.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Both plays at this as his "Mortal Guise" is a DROW, but is also this since his actual species is a Chromatic Dragon, specifically a Shadow Dragon.
- Nice to the Waiter: Lev to Siesta.
- Oh, Crap!: The common reaction to seeing Lev, due to the Fear And Loathing of elves, even without him using his aura of terror. When he first appears in Halkenginia, he wonders if he had accidentally let it free due to this.
- Our Dragons Are Different: While he comes from Ferun, thus 3.0/3.5 Dungeons & Dragons, he's a Shadow Dragon, thus not one of the types normally talked about.
Tropes applicable only to Shadow:
Tropes applicable only to In the Shadow:
- Bilingual Bonus: Levethix'Moxt (Little Wizard) is named and occasionally speaks or thinks in Draconic. Translations available here.
- Dramatic Wind: Lev invokes this with a cantrip when he introduces himself.
- Large Ham: Lev is most definitely this, even lampshading the fact. Im a spontaneous spellcaster! Ham flows in my veins like blood!
- Supernatural Fear Inducer: In addition to the regualar draconic presence, he also has grafted onto it an Aura Of Terror.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Played with. Assuring someone that you don't want to eat them while not in the shape of a dragon might just be a bad idea, Lev
- He also knows the exact location, size, and color of a book containing ritual sex magic. Not that he'd have ever read something like that.