Oblivio Is Not Oblivious is an Alternate Universe Fic made by RockSunner, for Miraculous Ladybug. Part of the Smart Adversaries AU for Miraculous Ladybug on AO3, in which Ladybug villains make smarter decisions. The series has a tropes page here.
This is a one-chapter work and it is complete.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: A What If? with the change that Oblivio notices the movement of Tikki in the stairwell, and goes up the stairs instead of being decoyed down.
- Big Damn Kiss: Because the Miraculous cure could not be done, Marinette and Adrien remain in love to the end, and they kiss.
- Bittersweet Ending: Hawk Moth is thwarted becauseTikki escapes with both Miraculous. Many people will suffer because of their loss of memory, but Marinette and Adrien will remain in love.
- Gender-Neutral Writing: Oblivio is consistently referred to in the narration with third-person-plural pronouns like "they" and "their." This is appropriate for a creature made from two persons, male and female.
- MacGyvering: Marinette makes additional use of the tape she stuck to Adrien's phone to decoy Oblivio. She uses it to secure the Miraculous earrings and ring to Tikki so she can fly away with them without risking dropping them.
- Near-Villain Victory: Marinette and Adrien are cornered on high rooftop, with no idea how to activate Ladybug's powers. Only sending the Miraculous away with Tikki prevents Hawk Moth from getting them.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: By causing Ladybug and Chat Noir to lose their memories and rushing them with an effective chase by Oblivio, Hawk Moth causes them to do something they wouldn't think of normally: to send Tikki flying away with the Miraculous jewels and make his plan virtually impossible.
- Shown Their Work: In real life there isn't an elevator to the terrace roof of Montparnesse Tower. This fic installs one by order of Mayor Bourgeois.
- The Unmasking: Ladybug and Chat Noir's identities are revealed to Hawk Moth, Nino, and Alya. Ladybug and Chat Noir don't forget their own mutual reveal.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: The plan to send the Miraculous ring and earrings away with Tikki is not revealed until after the fact.
- Villain Protagonist: Most of the story is from the point of view of Oblivio.
- We Have Ways of Making You Talk: When Marinette and Adrien lie that they hid the Miraculous in the office where they were chased, Oblivio first threatens them with the memory gun to reveal the hiding place. When the couple points out that erasing their memories would defeat the purpose of the interrogation, the villains threaten Marinette with physical violence instead.
- You Have Failed Me: Downplayed. Hawk Moth says this to Oblivio, but just pulls their power in the desperate hope of akumatizing someone else to become a flying villain and go after Tikki.