Twilight's "friend" wants to ask out a certain mare she has feelings for, but doesn't really know the right way to do it - or even if she should ask her out. Because the mare her "friend" likes is a regal, majestic pony who spends a lot of time in Canterlot and has a reputation to uphold...
The story can be found here.
- Ambiguously Bi:
- Celestia goes along with Twilight possibly having a crush on her, so she's either bi, a lesbian, or just humouring Twilight.
- Twilight's "friend" has a crush on a mare, meaning she's either bi or a lesbian.
- Rarity has courted Prince Blueblood, so if she likes Applejack back, which she might not, then she is indeed bi.
- Bad Liar: I Have This Friend... is the oldest lie in the book. Celestia is unconvinced by Twilight's denial that she is the "friend" in question. Turns out Twilight was telling the truth.
- Bait-and-Switch: It seems that Twilight is really talking about herself having a crush on Celestia, but nope, it's Applejack who has a crush on Rarity.
- Cassandra Truth: Even though "I have this friend" is usually a lie, this time it isn't and Twilight really is talking about a friend, namely Applejack.
- Foreshadowing: There are some hints that Twilight is really talking about Applejack and Rarity:
- The "friend's" crush is a noble Canterlot pony. Rarity is said to have opened a boutique in Canterlot prior.
- The "friend" is a bit rough-around-the-edges.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: Twilight mentions her "mane crawling" at one point.
- I Have This Friend...: Right there in the title and the core of the premise. Princess Celestia immediately asks Twilight whether or not the "friend" is standing in front of her, something Twilight denies, but it doesn't take Celestia long to cotton on to what is going on. Trope in the end; Twilight really was asking on behalf of a friend, namely Applejack, who wants some advice over whether she should ask out Rarity. Not that Twilight ever tells Celestia, who is left wondering at the end just what grand romantic gesture Twilight is planning.
- Mistaken for Gay: Celestia isn't buying the "I have a friend" line, but it turns out it's true. And Twilight is canonically either straight or bi because she's had romance with Flash Sentry.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, there was a "mishap" involving Twilight's old sitting cushion when Celestia sent it to be cleaned. It's never revealed what the mishap was.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Zigzagged. This story is set while Celestia is still Twilight's teacher and Celestia assumes Twilight has a crush on her, but really she's talking about Rarity and Applejack.
- Winged Unicorn: This story takes place when Celestia and Twilight are both alicorns (unicorns with wings).