Scootaloo & the Cabinet of Seers is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic written by HMXTaylorLee.
Scootaloo has been struggling with her inability to fly ever sense the Crusaders earned the right to be Ponyville's flag carriers at the Equestria Games. This reaches it's boiling point after a prank by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon goes too far.
As her friends and loved ones try to uncover what's bothering her so badly, the chance to see the future and answer the question 'will I ever be able fly' will present itself. But will she like what she sees?
This fanfiction contains the following tropes:
- Beware the Nice Ones: Scootaloo might have been having problems and become more aggressive lately, but she's still a nice filly. However, Diamond Tiara pushes her too far causes this trope to come into play.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Silver might be a bully, but she still cares about Diamond Tiara.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Sweetie Belle certainly thinks so. Her holiday presentation is covered in them.
- Extreme Mêlée Revenge: Scootaloo's beatdown of Diamond Tiara. While at first Applebloom thinks she deserved it, when she sees Diamond Tiara's bleeding she pulls Scootaloo off her and tries to calm her down. Diamond ends up in the hospital.
- Green-Eyed Monster:
- It turns out Scootaloo has been avoiding Twilight after her ascension due to this trope.
- Scootaloo also mentions that she felt this way about the other pegasi who got adopted at the orphanage, leading to her running away.
- Heroic BSoD: Scootaloo ends up going into one due to depression after her beatdown on Tiara. This is both due to her feelings about the situation and her inability to fly.
- Holding the Floor: Applebloom and Sweetie Belle do this for Scootaloo, trying to run out the clock so she'll have some more time to complete her assignment. Sweetie Belle gives a very indepth report on Hearts and Hooves Day. Applebloom? She recites the entire Hearth's Warming Eve play from memory. Sadly, it's still not enough time and Diamond has time to humiliate her.
- Karma Houdini Warranty. Not only does Diamond Tiara get a serious beatdown, Cheerilee finally becomes aware of the extent of her and Silver's bullying and suspends Silver Spoon, and presumably Diamond as well. Scootaloo is also suspended for two weeks for assaulting Diamond, which is acknowledged in universe as having been, while understandable, the wrong thing to do.
- Innocently Insensitive: Twilight accidentally does this in some of her attempts to comfort Scootaloo, due to Scootaloo being jealous of her new wings.
- Invented Individual: Played With. Scootaloo used the alas 'Sweetie Bloom and Apple Belle' as the names of her 'parents' and the ones who signed her adoption papers, but it turns out the ponies actually exist and she simply faked them adopting her. It was simply coincidental they shared their names with her future friends. Played Straight later with her payments, as in that case her 'parents' don't actually exist.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Scootaloo has this reaction when she calms down after beating Diamond so savagely she needs to be hospitalized.
- Never My Fault: It seems to escape Diamond Tiara that it was her own fault Scootaloo gave her a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Scootaloo gives one to Diamond Tiara when pushed past the Rage Breaking Point. It's so brutal, Applebloom is the one to break it up and Diamond is hospitalized. Even Scootaloo acknowledges she went too far later on.
- A later chapter reveals Diamond got a broken muzzle from the ordeal.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Scootaloo's an orphan, and has spent the last few years living on her own. Though in a twist on the normal, this story has her pain come not from simply being an orphan, but being an orphan that was constantly overlooked by others, resulting in her running away from the endless cycle of disappointment and jealousy that came with it.
- Rage Breaking Point: Scootaloo hits this after forgetting to do a major assignment, then Diamond Tiara publicly humiliating her. While she still holds herself together, being tripped by Diamond and insulted one last time is too much and she snaps. In-Universe, some characters are worried she would have beaten her to death if she hadn't been stopped.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Cheerilee and Princess Twilight Sparkle, naturally. Despite being horrified by the beatdown Scootaloo gave Diamond, they still are understanding that Scoots is the victim too.
- Slice of Life: Despite the summary, the first six chapters are this.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Cheerilee becomes aware of Diamond's bullying, but can't help feeling bad for her when Filthy Rich is too busy to visit her in the hospital and the girl breaks down crying when her teacher and Silver have to leave due to visitors hours ending.
- True Companions: The Crusaders, even given Scootaloo's recent behavior.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Filthy Rich is too busy to even visit his own daughter in the emergency room.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Scootaloo giving Diamond a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown has shades of this.Scootaloo: You think youre so much better than everypony else, you — you miserable entitled worthless — How does that feel? HOW DOES THAT FEEL?