After Lex Luthor ruins his family and company trying to kill Superman, his sister Lena moves to National City in an effort to rebrand the company and do some good in the world. It most certainly has nothing to do with the fact that her ex-girlfriend from college, Kara Danvers, is National City's premiere superhero.
This fic provides examples of:
- Accidental Marriage: In college, Kara got Lena a watch engraved with a Kryptonian promise of love, and Lena got Kara a bracelet made of an unbreakable metal to symbolize their love. By Kryptonian standards, that's more than enough for them to be considered legal mates (though normally the relationship is tested by the Jewel of Truth first, that's technically optional). Kara of course knew, and is mortified when Lena finds out.
- Commonality Connection: In addition to their love of engineering, Lena and Winn bond over being from supervillain families; Winn is the son of the Toyman, a serial killer who used toys to kill people.
- Destructive Savior: A Running Gag is Lena and her board complaining about the damage Superman and Supergirl do to their properties. L-Corp can cover the damages easily, but it's still annoying. It seems like the problem is that L-Corp just owns so much property that it's inevitable the fights will crash into something.
- Destructo-Nookie: The good news is that Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex isn't an issue, because Kara has too much self control to hurt Lena. The bad news is that this normally comes at the cost of everything else in reach. Lena mentions that she and Kara got called into the Dean's office multiple times over the large amount of broken furniture, until Lena stopped reporting the damages and just had everything fixed herself.
- Everyone Knew Already: Once it becomes clear that everyone knows about Kara and Lena's relationship, and everyone knows that everyone else knows, Mon-El asks if they can stop pretending it's some big secret.
- Friendless Background: Lena has very few friends that are not directly connected to Kara. And most of them are employees who she is simply on good terms with.
- Irony: Lena helped Lex build the Lexosuit in the hopes that giving humans powers equivalent to Kryptonians would mean Kara would never have to become a hero and put herself in danger. Lex of course kept the suit for himself to try to kill Kryptonians.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Lena is very good at calming down Kara with just a touch. In a side chapter from Kara's point of view, Kara nearly throws Snapper through a wall when he insults Lena.
- Meet Cute: Kara and Lena met in college when Lena ran into what she thought was a wall.
- Nonverbal Miscommunication: Averted; Kara and Lena's nonverbal communication skills were so good in college they were banned from charades. This continues in the main story, where Lena nearly always interprets Kara's expressions perfectly (and vice versa) even when others have trouble.
- Sanity Slippage: Flashbacks show how Lex went from Lena's cool big brother who was very supportive of her relationship with Kara to a violent human-supremacist willing to do anything to take down Superman.
- Saying Too Much: Kara and Lena briefly try to hide their history from James and Winn. This goes out the window almost immediately when Kara mentions a hot dog contest she won years ago, and Lena talks about it in a way that makes it clear she was there.
- Secret Keeper: In college before they started dating, Lena was the first person Kara ever told about her alien nature. When Lena heard a new Kryptonian had saved a plane, she put two and two together before she even saw the pictures of Supergirl.
- Shipper on Deck: Mxyzptlk, rather than wanting to marry Kara himself, just thinks Kara and Lena are adorable together and wants them to get married. They'd be mostly fine with it if not for the part where after the wedding, he'll take them to be part of his collection.
- The Stations of the Canon: The fic follows season 2 canon very closely, except Mon-El never gets in a relationship with Kara (despite his best efforts) and Lena is involved in far more of the plot.
- Transparent Closet: Following Alex realizing she's a lesbian and revealing it to Kara, Kara tells Lena. Lena saw it coming miles away. She mentions a time Alex brought a boyfriend home for Thanksgiving, despite obviously having more chemistry with the random neighbor girl who brought over a pie. Kara didn't notice because there was pie.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Once Mon-El accepts Lena as Kara's mate, he appoints himself as Lena's bodyguard and dueling stand-in, since Lena is too fragile to fight off insults herself.
- You Never Asked: During the Mxy chapter, Mon-El mentions it's too bad they can't get him to say his name backwards. He had assumed they knew about that rule (unlike in the show, where he was deliberately hiding it) and already decided it was too impractical. He does have a point; Kara at first dismisses it, but eventually figures out she can trick Mxy into writing it instead.