Applejack has worked hard her whole life. She has family and friends alike to love. She never felt the need to have anything beyond that simple life. That is, until she met a certain cyan pegasus.
Applejack's Love provides examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Big Mac and Fluttershy admit their feelings for each other and become a couple. Applejack admits her feelings for Rainbow Dash, gets outright rejected by her and severely damages their friendship in the process. They never truly make up during the story, but Rainbow Dash does say that they might be able to repair their friendship one day.
- Contrived Coincidence: As if Rainbow Dash didn't have enough reason in her backstory to get angry at Applejack's love confession, the reason she was late for their picnic just happened to be because a classmate from flight school came out recently and wanted to ask Dash out.
- Deconstruction Fic: Of Shipping and Romance stories in general. Sometimes you dont get the person you want and your attempts to get them can lead to even worse results for both of you.
- Incompatible Orientation: Sorry, Applejack, but Rainbow Dash is straight as a floor board.
- Love Confession:
- Big Mac confesses his feelings for Fluttershy. They get together.
- Applejack confesses her feelings for Rainbow Dash. She gets rejected.
- Mistaken for Gay: Rainbow Dash gets this constantly. She was teased for it her whole life and is the sole reason she gets pissed when Applejack says she loves her.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: Applejack's thoughts to rumors of her relationship with Big Macintosh.
- Oblivious to Love: Rainbow Dash is completely unaware of Applejacks true feelings for most of the story.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Rainbow Dash is the only pony Applejack has ever been able to develop any true romantic interest in.
- Tragic Dream: Applejack finally confesses her feelings to Rainbow Dash late in the story. Dash makes it absolutely clear that she never has and never will possess feelings beyond friendship for her.