Tales of the Artefacts: The Fall of Plarge (working title) comes from the deranged imaginings of MonkeyPhysics. No, really - the original concept comes from a psychotic episode brought on by three days' sleep deprivation. Yeah.
Anyway, the story focuses on Geran and Thess, a pair from the warrior village of Crella, who are sent off by the Plargan Consortium to destroy the Artefact in the city of Yurth, whose leader Vornyl openly oppose their rulers. The Artefacts, originally distributed by the Consortium, are supposedly magical objects venerated by the populace of wherever they are, and controlled/maintained by the Consortium in an attempt to keep the people under control.Along the way, they pick up the lovely Linya and her brother Juntr, anti-Consortium freedom fighters from the town of Broin.
- Toris - Thess' mother and chief of Crella
- Kergan - Recently ascended (crowned?) Count of Broin
- Vask the Transcendent - Ruler of the Plargan Consortium, which covers most of the country of Strentis
- Osric the Wise - The man chiefly responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Artefacts
- Draiytch the Mighty - Vask's Dragon and leader of his military
How complete is it? A plan and half a chapter. Writing is hard.
Here be tropes:
- Action Girl: Linya. Toris and Vornyl to a lesser extent.
ArtifactArtefacts of Doom: Some of them, but not all. They all have a specific function.
- The Atoner: Osric. Or so he claims. Geran and Vornyl imprison him anyway.
- Back Stab: Geran's favourite kind of attack - of course, Thess disapproves. Until the end, anyway.
- Badass Handicapped: Juntr is missing a leg.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted rather painfully. Poor Linya.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Please don't provoke the Technical Pacifist. She'll beat seven flavours of snot out of you if you do.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Toris.
- The Chick, Distressed Damsel: Thess thinks these apply to Linya. Shes actually a more effective fighter than he is.
- Combat Medic: Geran. Sort of. He's better at it when people aren't trying to kill him, as one would expect.
- Combat Pragmatist: This trope is the only reason Geran's still in one piece. He'd get murdered in a straight fight.
- Deadpan Snarker: Geran, especially toward Thess. Vornyl has her moments as well.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Thess suffers from this, big time - it's one of the traits he believes heroes should have.
- Egopolis: Castle Vask.
- Evil Overlord: Vask, complete with Evil Gloating and Contractual Genre Blindness in places.
- Good Is Not Nice: Geran can be a bit of a prick.
- Guile Hero: Geran tries a couple of times. Doesn't work out too well.
- Honour Before Reason: Thess. All the damn time.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Juntr.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Averted, with the possible exception of Draiytch, who doesn't so much get up as shoot Geran from the floor.