Cory Efram Doctorow (born July 17, 1971) is a Canadian science fiction writer, blogger, and founder of the geek news site Boing Boing.
Doctorow is one of the more famous and vocal proponents of Creative Commons, and the idea that information should be shared, not protected, is a common theme throughout many of his books. All of his work up to 2017 is available, for free, under Creative Commons CC-BY-NC-SAnote or CC-BY-NC-NDnote licenses, on his website. His most recent books, starting with Walkaway, are not available for free but may be in the future.
In addition to science fiction, Doctorow also wrote a Steampunk short story for the Anthology Steampunk! in 2011.
Not related to E. L. Doctorow.
Notable works include:
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (2003)
- Eastern Standard Tribe (2004)
- Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (2005)
- Little Brother (2008)
- Homeland (2013)
- Lawful Interception (2013; novella)
- Attack Surface (2020)
- Makers (2009)
- For the Win (2010)
- Clockwork Fagin (2011; novelette)
- Pirate Cinema (2012)
- The Rapture of the Nerds (2012, with Charles Stross)
- Walkaway (2017)
- Radicalized (2019; collection of 4 novellas)