When a mysterious sorcerer sends a slime golem to attack citizens of Chicago, Harry Dresden and his apprentice Molly are on the case. But when Baron John Marcone takes an interest in the affair, Dresden will have to survive Chicago's most ruthless gangster as well as the monstrous sorcerer and the golem itself if he's going to keep the city safe.
Tropes appearing in Down Town include:
- Absurdly-Spacious Sewer: The sorcerer lives in one, and the entire second half of the miniseries is set in and around his lair.
- Curse Cut Short: Molly gets to FU- before she's distracted.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Mouse as usual.
- I Gave My Word: When people pay Marcone for protection from magical attackers, he'll make sure they get it, even if he has to storm a sorcerer's lair himself.
- Golem: The sorcerer builds one of slime.
- Let's Split Up, Gang!: Dresden triggers a cave-in to cut off Marcone's army from the sewers. Marcone manages to beat the rockfall and make it to Dresden's side of the tunnel, but his minions are left behind.
- Male Gaze: Gard, in the books usually described as wearing a business suit, is drawn wearing a suit jacket and a micro miniskirt. We also get a good look down Molly's blouse at her ample cleavage.
- No Name Given: The sorcerer is never named.
- Police Are Useless: Murphy and Rawlins are around, but they don't really accomplish anything.