open/close all folders
Count Harken Badlock
Count Harken BadlockThe main antagonist of the series, and the nemesis of the Red King. He is a powerful enchanter who will stop at nothing to take over the Red King's ancient city.
- Driven by Envy: His main reason for tearing the Red King's family apart and trying to take over the city is envy of the Red King.
- Evil Sorcerer: A prime example.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He is half-human, half-viridee.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: His father was Lord of the Viridee; his mother was a cold-hearted daughter of a human African chieftain.
- Hypnotize the Princess: What he does to Amy in the fifth book.
- I Have Many Names: He goes by many, many names, but in Europe he's mainly known as Count Harken Badlock.
- Mind Control: Harken can hypnotise, as seen in Hidden King. He hypnotises Amy Bone, Charlie's mother, into falling in love with him, to prevent Lyell Bone from waking up from his trance.
- Mixed Ancestry: He has both human and viridee blood in his ancestry.
- The Corrupter: Long ago he turned five of the Red King's children to evil, though they were already halfway there anyway. He also influences Titania Tilpin into fighting on the evil side.
- The Heartless: He has no heart whatsoever.
MatildaThe unendowed granddaughter of the count.
- Nice Girl: She is the nicest inhabitant in Badlock.
EdgarEndowed grandson of the count, and brother to Matilda. He can walk through walls.
Otus YewbeamThe husband of Amoret, and father of Roland. He is a giant who finds himself trapped in Badlock and separated from his wife and son for twenty years. In the seventh book Charlie and Paton help him reunite with Amoret in the Castle of Mirrors.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it when he discovered that his wife had died on the Island of a Thousand Blues. He tells Charlie in Shadow of Badlock that after hearing of her death, he cared less and less about his eventual fate.
- Gentle Giant: He is part-giant with a very kind and gentle heart.
- Happily Married: To Amoret, for a tragically short time.