06:20:15 PM Jan 6th 2016
The following zero-context examples have been commented out and need to be described before uncommenting. Per the Zero-Context Example page, simply listing character names without any description is generally not sufficient explanation of the example.
- Bilingual Bonus
- Birds of a Feather: Lori and Mark, Kyle and Jessi, Josh and Andy.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Jessi.
- Evil Brit: Michael Cassidy in Season 3.
- Happily Married: Stephen and Nicole
- Has Two Mommies: Andy.
- Ladykiller in Love: Declan for Lori.
- Living Lie Detector: Kyle.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Hillary.
- Love Triangle: Kyle/Amanda/Charlie, Lori/Declan/Jessi, Declan/Lori/Mark, and Amanda/Kyle/Jessi.
- Magic Floppy Disk
- Naked on Arrival: Kyle and Jessi.
- Not Wearing Tights
- Not What It Looks Like: (Also, Not What It Sounds Like) Variously played straight and subverted.
- The Obi-Wan: Adam Baylin serves this role very closely.
- Team Dad: Stephen Trager
- Team Mom: Nicole Trager
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Jessi, to Taylor and later Sarah.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Jessi
- Buffy Speak: Lori: "I could see the sparkage in your eyes."
- Circumcision Angst: Kyle averts this, even though Lori has an issue with it.
- Distaff Counterpart: Kyle gets one in Season 2.
- I Am Spartacus: Kyle leads the basketball team on this in episode 7 of season 1.
- Left Hanging: And how! If anything, the series finale raised more questions than it answered.
- Literal-Minded: Kyle, though he gradually gets better.
- Misplaced Wildlife: The Other Rainforest doesn't have rattlesnakes.
- No Social Skills: Kyle was not raised by anyone and so is not familiar with any social norms.
- Spock Speak: Kyle, especially the way he describes normal human activity in his narration.
- Wrong Guy First: Amanda with Charlie, who ends up cheating on her.
- X Called; They Want Their Y Back: "Hilary Duff called, she wants her shirt back."