- Accidental Innuendo:
Jenny: Give me one.
- "When you really like someone, there's nothing worse than a naked signature." Said by Nate when Jenny didn't sign his yearbook with anything but her name, but even in context it sounds strange.
- More blatant:
- Bizarro Episode: One Sunday strip has Nate visit a beach, where his bike got stolen by a seagull. Most of the response/comments for this particular strip can be summed up as "...What?"
- Another one, which is part of the Nate/Trudy strip series, has him walk away, smiling, until he literally starts FLYING. Also may count as a Tear Jerker.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Let's just say that Francis and Teddy comforting Nate about his breakup was not seen as it likely should've been.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop:
- Nate was once in detention with a kid who had never been in detention before. The kid said that if Nate wanted to get detention all the time, that's okay with him, but he was going to turn his life around and become a kid the school could be proud of. Nate's reaction, and the last line of the story arc? "What a loser."
- At one point, a girl expressed interest in joining the cartooning club but backed out when she realized that the club mainly drew insulting cartoons. After she said that they were cruel and left, Nate said to the class, "Okay, who wants to draw cartoons about miss goody-good?"
- Many recent comics with Gina. It's only this because Gina's Flanderization turned her into not only a smart kid but also an Insufferable Genius and the Designated Villain, making it seem that the strip is trying to convince readers that being a good student is a bad thing.
- Fridge Horror: How does Chester treat his family members?
- Genius Bonus: Nate's character Dan Cupid has "love darts" that make people fall in love with each other, but in one strip he mentions that he has "anti-love darts" as well that make people hate and be hated by everyone. In Greek mythology, Cupid not only had golden arrows that made people fall in love, but also had iron arrows that had the opposite effect.
- Gonk: Lately, the faces characters make when their Berserk Buttons are pushed are just weird. To wit: their hair loses all of its smoothness, their mouth becomes C-shaped and gains buck teeth, their tongue sticks straight out, and one of their eyes becomes round.
- Ho Yay: Derek Nack idolizes Nate...a little too heavily. He's only appeared in two arcs, but he's managed to get plenty of odd lines in.
Derek: Want to exchange locks of hair?Nate: Well, gotta go...
- Jerkass Woobie: Nate's not a nice person to say the very least, but his friends often treat him like crap, his teacher gives him a terrible grade for making a replica of the coliseum out of blocks, and it just seems that the universe hates him. There are multiple times Nate's just minding his own business and something bad has to happen to him or his friends purposely screw him over for amusement.
- Uncanny Valley: Gordie looks...odd, to say the least.
- Squick: Coach John collects kidney stones and loves showing the kids knee surgeries. "And the bone was poking through the skin!!"
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Francis and Teddy were seen as rather ungrateful and insensitive after Nate's breakup with Trudy, especially after he mentioned it was so he could hang out with them.