Big Nate has been around for over 25 years. So, it's expected that it gets in some hilarious stuff. Examples include: Comic Strips
- In one strip, Nate and Francis are binder-shopping. Francis spends the majority of the strip raving about the awesomeness of binders he finds. He then asks Nate which binder he'll take. Nate takes a binder, whacks Francis in the head, and then buys it.
- Nate is explaining comic gags to Chad. He says that in comics, you can have the gag happen in the second-to-last panel and then have the last panel be a reaction. Cue a monkey run past them.
Nate: Now, Where was I?
- Prank Day, 2008 (though in general, prank Day is where Nate shows off what he can do.)
Teddy: Somebody just let a flying squirrel loose in the computer lab!Nate: Yeah, that was me.Francis: A squirrel? Isn't that kind of tame for the guy who calls himself "Mr. Prank Day?"Nate: That was only part one. (A moose walks by.)Francis: (wide eyed) I assume that was part two?Nate: I went with a Bullwinkle theme.
- I'M TRYING TO DO MY TAXES!
- Francis provides this burn upon Nate's insistence of having a near-death experience:
To have a near-death experience, don't you need to have a life?
- Anytime Nate starts raving. Special mentions go to this guy and this gem.
- "You got a C, Teddy got a C plus, and Francis got P.T.S.D!"
- Nate asks a girl to sign his yearbook. She writes, "Nate, you're the weirdest kid in school."
Nate: (writing in his yearbook) Okay, so I'll change "weirdest" to "studliest".Francis: (Aside Glance) Most people don't edit their yearbook entries.
- In one arc, Nate is desperately trying to find a date to a dance. A girl comes up to him, saying that she feels sorry for him... so she gives him a hand puppet. Next thing you know, Francis and Teddy are playing with it. See it here.
- "I have no idea why, but I'm grounded for a week."
- Everything about the school picture day arc where Nate's lip is swelled due to Teddy hitting him in the mouth with a basketball. Especially since School Picture Guy thinks at first that Nate injected his lips with collagen. Probably the best part is this exchange:
School Picture Guy: I thought I'd seen it all, but never have I laid eyes on something like this! A sixth-grader resorting to collagen injections in his lips!Nate: I got hit in da mouf wif a bathket-baw!School Picture Guy: A pox on this beauty-obsessed society!
- Nate once tried to come up with a middle name for himself. Two of the names he comes up with: "Funkmeister" and "Maximus".
Teddy: Very modest.Francis: Is that a name or a male enhancement supplement?
- Most of the time when Nate starts Suddenly SHOUTING! . Such as this or this gem
- Artur is LIVELY meat!
- While a sad story line overall, one strip after Angie dumps Nate has him playing in a chess tournament. He channels his hate at being dumped to his opponents. One didn't even play him.
- Some of the drop-off panels that contain Nate's cartoons can be pretty funny.
- "Ooh, my hair is tingling! Just like in that dandruff commercial!"
- Nate gives a good point about why he doesn't care for school:
Nate: Okay, I'll admit that I'm not exactly Joe Honor Roll, but answer me this: When I get out there in the real world, is anybody going to care whether or not I know who was vice president under Warren G Harding? (And don't try to pretend that YOU know who it was, because you don't.)
- "A walrus ate my homework."
- Nate's answer to teachers telling him he should be more like his sister: "Right, like that's my goal in life: to be more like a high school cheerleader."
- When Nate starts thinking about ways to get out of the test, he sits on a rock and poses like the Thinker statue. Even better, Spitsy copies him!
- Nate being referred to as "Spiky-haired kid".
- "Hey, Nate! Taking a nap? Or are you doing the world's slowest push-up?"
- Nate's reaction to the announcements starting: