Western Animation / Neighbors From Hell
Neighbors From Hell
was a Flash animated
sitcom created by South Park
veteran Pam Brady that premiered on June 7, 2010 on TBS
, but sadly was not renewed for a second season. The plot basically concerns the adventures of a family of demons that must relocate to Houston
, Texas in order to keep a powerful new drill with the ability to plow straight into Hell itself from becoming active, thereby destroying their underworld. ...Yeah.
It should not be confused with a series of PC games
by the same title.
- Aerith and Bob - Balthazar and his family ...Josh, Mandy, and his wife, Tina.
- Ambiguously Gay: Vlaartark often crossdresses, has... intimate moments with Pazuzu, and has a tattoo of Taylor Lautner.
- Ass Kicks You - Marjoe tends to do this to people after making a joke.
- Berserk Button - Don't EVER belittle Bal's parents.
- Bestiality Is Depraved -
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: In the pilot, a man in hell is tortured by being forced to listen to Britney Spears music.
- Deadpan Snarker/Little Miss Snarker: Mandy, when she actually talks (not via cell phone/texting), is pretty much this.
- The Devil Is a Loser
- Dissimile - Ashley from Guns For Mutts comes out with a few of these.
Josh: (about a secret experiment facility) Woah! This place is weird.
Ashley: You think this is weird? You should see my experiment shed at home. And by experiment shed I mean my underpants.
- The Ditz/Dumb Blonde: Tina, at times.
- Even Evil Has Standards - Tina is constantly repulsed by the disgusting and politically incorrect demeanor of her new neighbor Marjoe. Tina's daughter Mandy breaks up with Killbride's son because he's cruel to unpopular, or disabled kids. Even Satan himself is disconcerted by how amoral and evil Killbride can be.
- Everyone Meets Everyone - Hellmans, meet weirdos from Houston, TX. Houston, Hellmans.
- Everything Is Big in Texas - Pretty much a constant parody of said trope. Also applies to most of the women on the show, as well.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Fartillery - In episode 1 Marjoe farts(purposely) in her suicidal dog's face just for laughs.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell
- Friend to All Living Things: Josh loves animals and animals seem to love him back, ironic considering he's a demon.
- Guilty Pleasure: One of the triggers of the whole premise. Bal loved secretly watching earth television, which is considered one of the most horrible things in existence in Hell. This leads to Bal knowing more about humans than any of the other demons, which makes him Satan's choice for the job up on earth.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl - Tina is almost never seen without some kind of alcoholic beverage (usually, though not always, a martini) in hand.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: So much so, they make DEMONS look good.
- Idiot Hero: Balthazar
- Ink-Suit Actor: The female executive that sexually harasses Balthazar is voiced by Jane Lynch, and basically looks like a caricature of her to boot.
- Jerkass: Don Killbride, full stop.
- Almost every human character is in more or less extent a Jerkass in this series.
- Mama Bear - Tina.
- Meaningful Name: Don Killbride has been married over six times.
- Mr. Exposition - Satan, in the pilot.
- Noble Demon: Even for literally being a demon, Balthazar's actually a pretty nice guy all things considered.
- Once an Episode: Tina and Bal making out.
- Only Sane Man/Straight Man: Balthazar, several times.
- Our Demons Are Different - They treat sinful repentance as a punch-in-and-out day job and act seemingly human, with families.
- Parental Obliviousness - In Guns For Mutts, even Ashley's own father didn't know she was a girl... somehow.
- Punch Clock Villains
- Self-Deprecation -
Satan: TV rots the mind. It's a fact.
Balthazar: I did not know that!
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Josh talks to horses, and possibly other animals.
- Take That: In the season 1 finale.
Satan: You've been on Earth for 10 weeks with no progress! Tell me why I shouldn't cancel you right now?
Balthazar: Umm... because we're fun to watch?
- Temporary Bulk Change - In Robert the Insult Weight Loss Robot, Tina puts on weight after eating too many cupcakes, though it's not noticeable except for one scene where she attempts to squeeze through the doggy door.
- This Loser Is You - Notice how the humans are either in the oil business, absurdly sympathetic, or batshit insane.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Balthazar and Tina.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: The Hellmans don't disguise themselves at all aside from wearing normal human clothes, and no one seems to care they have green skin, Pointy Ears and Cute Little Fangs.
- It was stated that everyone thought they had green skin because they said they were Jewish.
- Verbal Tic: Ashley from Guns for Mutts adds the cutesy suffix -sies to the ends of words.
- Villain Protagonist
- Visual Pun: Plenty of 'em.
- Widget Series: An interesting American Animated Sitcom example.