chronicles the coming-of-age misadventures of socially awkward Chad, his little brother Jay, and his best friend Chris. Living in the small town of Holford, the boys wander its surreal, bleak landscape waiting out their last few years of adolescence. Along the way, viewers meet Chad's conservative parents, Wayne and Rose, as well as Chris's single mother, Joanie, and her disastrous boyfriend, Terry. They also meet the object of Chad's affection, Sharla.
Unfortunately, IFC has decided not to renew the cartoon for the second season.
Not to be confused with the webcomic
with the same name
- Affectionate Nickname: Destiny's fond of giving these out.
- Blood Brothers: Chris and Chad, via a hilariously kludged and sincere ceremony.
- Burger Fool: Chad gets a job at an ice cream shop, complete with goofy hat and abusive coworkers.
- Bring Me My Brown Pants: Chris and Chad wet themselves as a result of the Springoween prank pulled on them.
- Call Back: The girl who says she should've made out with Chris before he died is Henrietta Miller, with whom Chris wanted to escape in the first episode.
- Cartoon Creature: It's pretty indeterminate what species the people in this world are or even why Chad and his family don't look like the others.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Terry, as well as numerous recurring background characters.
- Disappeared Dad: Chris's father, who's "not around anymore."
- Enemy Mine: After Joanie guilts them into taking part, Chris and Terry work together to weasel out of a father-son bonding activity.
- Epic Fail: Chris' escape plan in the first episode, especially if you compare the version he imagined with what actually happened. It is but the first of many times this trope occurs.
- Fake High: Those aren't aphrodisiacs, Chris. Those are multi-vitamins. Now get out of the shrubbery and put your clothes back on.
- Flashback: Wayne had some... interesting experiences before he settled down. It sometimes leads to misunderstanding his son.
- Funny Foreigner: Terry. He may or may not be a Mexican.
- Furry Denial
- Hot Mom: Joanie
- I Want My Mommy: Chris, while trying to make a rousing speech, accidentally trips and mutters "Mommy . . ." into the microphone which allows him to get picked on for the rest of the episode.
- Imagine Spot: Jay has these on a fairly regular basis.
- It's a Costume Party, I Swear: Part of Henrietta and Troy's prank on Chad and Chris in "Springoween."
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Destiny. Chad becomes enthralled with her at first, but later realizes she's a kaleidoscope of a girl he wasn't ready for.
- Slice of Life: This series is a great example of a modern-day animated slice of life television show.
- Rated M for Manly: Sharla's father is a stereotypical lumberjack type who practices taxidermy as a hobby. The episode which features him, "Viking Days", is itself an examination of this trope.
- Skyward Scream: Chris does this in "Springoween".
- Tastes Like Purple: "Nobody ever talked about the taste of shame. It was metallic."
- The Wiki Rule: Out There Wiki
- Thoroughly Mistaken Identity: Terry mistakes a random stranger on the street for his long-lost friend, Cheeto.
- World of Funny Animals: Though confusingly, the characters themselves refer to themselves as human and occasional background elements also contain humans.