open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Karin a.k.a. Chibi Vampire has the Maaka family, a family of vampires.
Film - Live-Action
- The Addams Family had a remake in the 1990s known by the same name, The Addams Family, that was critically and financially successful, thus producing a sequel, Addams Family Values. Both centered on Uncle Fester to some degree, and the children as the secondary plot. The second one wasn't as successful commercially, so a third movie was never made. A Made-for-TV Movie was made, The Addams Family Reunion, but is generally considered much inferior in quality to the previous ones.
- Rob Zombie did a kind of remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with House of 1000 Corpses and the Firefly family, with more comedic overtones, yet still a family of violent, murderous psychopaths.
- The Monster Club is an Anthology Film with Vincent Price and John Carradine; deals with a hybrid from a monster family know as Shadmock constantly speaking about his relations, a kid that discover his fahter is a vampire and a town made of ghouls.
- The Munsters had two movies with the original cast (except Pat Priest), Munsters Go Home and The Munsters' Revenge. Other made-for-TV movies with new casts proliferated during the 1980s and 1990s with mixed results.
Film - Animated
- Several of the monsters in Hotel Transylvania have their families, most notably Dracula and the Wolf Man.
- Ray Bradbury wrote several short stories about the Elliotts, a family of supernatural creatures with special abilities. One could See Through Anothers Eyes and another named Uncle Einar had large wings and could fly.
- Costa Rican writer Daniel Gonzalez in his children's novel Leonor; aventuras fantasticas has a creepy family; the Quintrala del Osario, the family of main character Leonor (a pale, thin, scary-looking Goth girl) which includes her father, a greenish incredible tall man; her mother, an attractive, yet eccentric, Gothic-looking woman, and her grandmother, that looks like the classic hag. They also live in a haunted house and her father has a factory of knives. They are all friendly people never-the-less.
- H.P. Lovecraft was a big fan of this trope, he uses it frequently; the Marsh family in The Shadow Over Innsmouth, the Whateley in The Dunwich Horror, the Potters in Witch's Hollow, etc. Horror in Lovecraft's work was very often related to families and bloodlines.
Live Action TV
- The Addams Family and the reboot The New Addams Family.
- The Munsters and The Munsters Today, which was supposed to be a continuation of the original series in which, after being frozen for a while, the family awakes in modern (1990s) time.
- Another attempt to bring The Munsters back is Mockingbird Lane, a failed TV pilot that tried to modernize the series.
- The opening of the anthology series Monsters shows a family of monsters getting together to watch the eponymous show on television.
- Episode One Wolf's Family deals with a family of werewolves.
- The Draculas in Young Dracula
- The Addams Family Broadway musical with such actors as Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth in the original run.
- The Addams Family had two animated series, one in the 1970s and one in the 1990s. Both were produced by Hanna-Barbera.
- The Gruesomes were the scary, yet friendly, neighbors of The Flintstones. The Gruesomes, much like the Addams, seem to be anatomically normal humans but look and act eccentrically, have a lot of weird animals as pets (including a giant grasshopper) and live in what looks like a haunted house. They were replaced by the Frankenstones (essentially the Frankenstein Monster and his wife with children) in the spin-off series The Flintstone Comedy Show. A similar-looking version of the Gruesomes named the Creepleys appeared in Laff-A-Lympics.
- An episode of Popeye and Son has Junior befriending a kid that dress a lot like Eddie Munster and that was ostracized from other kids (especially Bluto’s son and local bully). The kid turn out to be a werewolf and his family is made of monsters: his dad is a Dracula-like vampire, his mom a literal Mummy and his grandpa the Frankenstein Monster.
- A failed TV pilot for an animated series called Mini-Munsters (with the voices of most of the original cast of The Munsters) was produced in the 1970s.
- Neighbors From Hell is about a family of demons that moves to Earth.
- The Real Ghostbusters had several examples:
- An Addams family expy in the Mycawbs in episode "Loathe Thy Neighbor" (although the daughter looks more like Marilyn Munster).
- A family of tourist ghosts in "Transcendental Tourists"
- A cute baby ghost searchs for his much more menacing parents in "Baby Spookums"
- The Grungys, a parody of The Simpsons in "Guess What's Coming to Dinner"
- Episode "Who's Minding the Monster?" of The Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo Show has the gang helping to babysit a werewolf baby that turns into wolf when the moon shines. His father was Dracula and his mother a Bride of Frankenstein-like monster.
- Ugly Americans: Callie's family from her father's side consists of actual demons, and her father is Satan.