Western Animation: Fantastic Max
Space-faring cartoon from the late 1980s, produced by Hanna-Barbera
follows the adventures of 16-month-old Max as he travels through space. Along for the ride is an adorable little alien doll named FX, who has magical powers to boot, and a toy robot nanny named AB-Sitter. The trio have many adventures and travel to many different planets.Fantastic Max
originally aired on Sundays as part of the two-hour cartoon block The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera
. The first episode aired September 11, 1988, and the last new episode aired on February 1, 1990.
Fantastic Max has examples of:
- All Just a Dream/Easy Amnesia: Max is apparently capable of doing this to people via hypnosis.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Max to Zoe, but the feeling goes both ways.
- Badass Adorable: Max is mighty tough for a toddler.
- Bad Butt
- Batman Can Breathe in Space
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Frequently. One example is an episode where all of Max's diapers are being used to plug up a hole, and AB informs Max: "This is the last of your diapers, Max. No more changing in this episode."
- Butt Monkey: AB-Sitter.
- The Cameo: George Jetson, the Great Gazoo and Space Ghost in one episode (they were in space, in a traffic jam no less!).
- Catch Phrase: Max's "Dirty Diapers!" when anything goes wrong.
- Also, FX's "Rocket and Roll!" when activating his powers.
- His cousin XS uses "Rock 'Em and Sock 'Em!", keeping in line with his aggressive bully personality.
- Diaper Space
- Even Evil Has Standards: "I may not be as bad as I wished, there's no way I'd let a baby get squished!"
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Free-Range Children: Taken Up to Eleven, as we're talking about a show where Max, a self-proclaimed "space baby", spends much of his time traveling across the galaxy. On the other hand, it's always when Mom and Dad (and Zoe for the most part) aren't looking. Still, he does have an AB-Sitter. So not like he's not being supervised.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Somewhat literally in this case - Max's Catch Phrase for when things go awry, "Dirty Diapers!" is pretty much just a kid-friendly way of exclaiming, "Oh shit!"
- Hufflepuff House: The girl from the day care center in the episode All in a Babe's Work.note
- Improbable Weapon User: Max uses a diaper and safety pin, if the theme song is to be believed.
- Kid Hero
- Panty Shot: Zoe, pretty much every time she's on screen. One notable exception is "Boo Who?".
- Red-Headed Hero
- Rhymes on a Dime: Dumping Jack Trash lives for this.
- Robot Buddy: AB (although he's really more of a substitute parent)
- Space Jews: In one episode. Max and friends run into a group of thieving, flamboyant, swarthy (but in the end, helpful) alien con artists who literally refer to themselves as "(Ha, HA!) Space Gypsies!".
- Totally Radical