Western Animation: A Kind of Magic
A Kind of Magic
is a French animated series that ran from 2006 to 2009.
In Fairyland, fairies and ogres don't get married. It just doesn't happen! Willow the fairy and her beloved husband Gregore, a reformed ogre, have no choice but to emigrate and settle in the real world with their children Tom and Cindy. And boy are they unprepared! Here in the real world, there is no guarantee of a happy ending, especially when you add to the mix the other dysfunctional members such as Ferocia, the colorful, sharp-tongued witch, or His Highness, the Toad, still in search of that magical kiss. This ill-equipped and maladjusted family of immigrants goes from one blunder to another and it is going to take every ounce of courage and street smarts that Tom can muster in order to protect his family from all the curious intruders, for whom magic is more than a little bit strange!
Tropes that are present in this work:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Usually Gregore and Willow for their children.
- A Fairy Did It: Several situations are solved by Willow using her wand to magically turn everything back to normal. Granted, she's sometimes the cause of the problems she has to fix.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Ferocia adores dasterdly pirates and nasty gnomes, justified in that she's a bad witch.
- All Myths Are True: It seems they were, back in Fairy Tale Land.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Cindy, Ferocia, and Willow, respectively.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Cindy.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Willow.
- Deadpan Snarker: His Highness the Toad and Ferocia.
- Fainting: The show pretty loves this trope very much.
- Fantastic Racism: Ogres are often accused of eating people. Gregore became a vegetarian to avoid this, but was still suspected of having eaten the (admittedly annoying) neighbours. By his own family, no less!
- No Social Skills: All the family minus Tom and Cindy.
- Gentle Giant: Gregore.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Ferocia REALLY HATES IT when someone mentions how smart, sweet, and pretty Willow is.
- Happily Married: Gregore and Willow.
- Hartman Hips: Willow may have the biggest thighs and butt of any woman in cartoons at the moment.
- Hot Teacher: Ms. Tinker (Tom's teacher), so very much.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Gregore and Willow.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Tom just desires to be a normal kid in the Real World.
- Interspecies Romance: Part of the reason why the family had to move to the real world is because ogres and fairies aren't allowed to get married in the fairy tale world, although a later episode suggests that they had to move because Ferocia was banished.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Tom and Cindy are half ogre, half fairy.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Usually Ferocia to Gregore.
- One-Word Title: The show is known in French as simply Magic. note
- Precocious Crush: Tom for Ms. Tinker.
- Screamer Prank: Subverted. The end of "Peekaboo Tom" has Gregore playing a prank on Willow that he is invisible and that he's at the stairs. When she goes searching for him, he roars at Willow causing her to scream and later faint.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Willow and Ferocia.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: It's very clear that Tom is the main character of the family for this reason.
- Stalker with a Crush: Leah from Tom's class. Subverted in the sense that she's not crushing on the main character (who would be Tom), but rather on Tom's goofy best friend, Jojo. She went as far as to frame Tom for stealing, just so that Jojo would stop idolizing him so much.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Played With in an episode between Tom and Ms. Tinker, mostly thanks a spell than turns Tom into a Prince Charming.
- Token Evil Teammate: Aunt Ferocia.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: In the Babysitting Episode, Cindy calls Tom after repeatedly getting annoyed and being hurt thanks to the baby girl she's babysitting. When she tells Tom to get the wand, the baby's face turns green, the camera cuts to Tom and the baby vomits right in front of her, leading her to scream in disgust.