"No vacancy for true guys !"Lascars
is a french animated series created by Boris Dolivet a.k.a. El Diablo. it depicts with humor the misadventures of the youth subculture influenced by Hip-Hop, the series mostly uses verlan
slang and adult humour, the episodes are usually shorts (1 minute). 2 seasons (60 episodes) was made in 1998 and 2007, an unaired pilot was also made for a 20 minute series.
The series also hit the cinema with an animated movie in 2009 which features the voice of Vincent Cassel and Diane Kruger
Lascars (the series) provides examples of the following tropes:
- Art Evolution: The character design of the first season looks rather simple; in the second season, the character design becames more caricatural. Finally, the movie have a better animation. To see the art evolution, look at the different design of Tony Merguez◊.
- Badass Bookworm: N'Cool, the graffiti guy in the episode "Pouilldé".
- Celebrity Star
- In the first season, there is an episode about the famous fashion designer Jean-Paul Gaultier.
- Also, in season two, the episode "Retour vers le vintage" portrays the french rapper Joey Starr as an old man in the future.
- The Future: "Retour vers le vintage" in the second season.
- Gross Out Show: Gross moments appears sometimes in the series.
- Hip Hop: The whole series is influenced by this culture.
- Musical Episode: "Schlague Attack" in the second season.
Lascars (the movie) provides examples of the following tropes:
- Artistic Title: The opening sequence which introduce the characters in a different art style.
- Ax Crazy: Zoran
- Berserk Button: Zoran and Manuela.
- Butt Monkey: Tony Merguez.
- Cameo: Look this scene and tell us, where's Waldo◊? You can find SpongeBob and Shin Chan, too.
- Chainsaw Good: Zoran
- Cone of Shame: The judge's dog wears one.
- Gainaxing: Manuela's boobs.
- Ink Suit Actor
- Samy and Narbé are dubbed by the comic duo Omar & Fred; these characters seem to be made for them.
- Also, one of John Boolman's "actresses" is dubbed by Katsumi, a real porn actress.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: The movie actor Vincent Cassel is the voice of Tony Merguez in the movie, he also made some voices in the second season. For french people, it borders on All Star Cast — Diane Kruger, Gilles Lellouche, Omar & Fred, Diam's, Vincent Desagnat, and some famous porn actresses.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Manuela is wildly attracted by Tony Merguez.
- Lover's Ledge: Subverted, where the man on the ledge is the actual boyfriend, trying to escape his enraged girlfriend after a misunderstanding (even has him in his underwear).
- Punny Name: Judge Santiépi which means "sans pitié" (no pity) in verlan slang.
- Reckless Gun Usage: Zoran manages to shoot himself in the foot during a tantrum.
- Sauna of Death: An accidental example for Tony Merguez.
- Unlucky Everydude: Tony Merguez doesn't have chance with girls, even when he has a girlfriend.
- Yandere: Manuela, oh so much.