Webcomic: Rival Angels
Rival Angels is a Slice of Life Webcomic, and first webcomic to focus on Professional Wrestling.Sabrina 'Ultra Girl' Mancini and her three rookie roommates battle against the best wrestlers in the world in the top wrestling federation, Rival Angels. The girls must also contend with professional and personal rivalries along the way and navigate the backstage politics.In Season One, "Ultragirl" Sabrina Mancini, "Lil' Dragon" Sun Wong, "The Definition Of Technician" Krystin Moline and Brooke "Aphrodite" Lennox also have to share an appointment as part of their development contract.After the conclusion of that story, Season Two begins, and sees Sabrina suspended from Rival Angels and sent to Japan's Millenium Wrestling Association. This season focuses primarily on Sabrina and a new cast.What makes this webcomic truly stand out is the detailed matches that occur. Well drawn and detail-oriented matches. Everything else is just a buildup to a match or three.It can be found here.
This webcomic provide examples of:
This webcomic provide examples of:
- Action Girl: Obviously, the majority of the women in this comic are Action Girls.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Sabrina isn't usually prone to this, but it happens to her once at a very inconvenient time. Sun's about to fall off the edge of the stage (twenty foot drop), but Sabrina saves her by grabbing the waistband of her shorts at the last second. Sabrina then uses her other hand to grab Chloe (who pushed Sun toward the edge in the first place) to prevent herself from being dragged over the edge along with Sun. And just when it looks like all three of them are going to fall, Kat grabs Chloe and pulls. Which is when this exchange happens:Sun: Don't let go, Sabrina!
Sabrina: [looking down] OH MY GOD, SUN! When did you start wearing a thong?
- The Bad Guy Wins: Let's just say that Sabrina's winning streak doesn't last forever, and the heel who eventually breaks it does so primarily by just being too damn tough for her.
- Berserk Button: Do something bad to Sabrina, and Sun will want to beat the shit out of you.
- Big Bad: Chloe De'Sade in Season 1, Black Widow at the beginning of Season 2.
- Big "NO!": Sabrina's response to seeing the Hell's Belles deliver a particularly vicious conchairto to an already thoroughly beaten victim.
- Breath Weapon: Sun's frequently used a "Poison Mist" attack and later LIT IT ON FIRE to defend herself or her friends after a match.
- But Not Too Black: Early on, one of the commenters suggested that the author add "a black chick". Evans replied that Krystin was African-American, although at that time she could easily be mistaken for a white girl with a tan. To be fair, her skin would darken as the series progressed.
- Catfight: A-Freaking-verted. The matches are full of Fanservice but of a totally different kind. Even when Sabrina and Brooke get in a fight at a wedding it's more of an all out brawl than a catfight.
- Catch Phrase: Sun Wong's "Ninja'd!" when she punks an enemy.
- Costume Test Montage: Poor Sun.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Kat Smith forces referees to be distracted by her sexy, as seen here.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Brooke may sleep around a lot, but when the girlfriend of the person she's sleeping with confronts her about it and offers a truce-of-sorts, Brooke is truly offended that she won't fight to keep what's hers. Even though she's the thief in question!
- The Exile: After getting into a fight with Brooke at a wedding and ruining it, Rival Angels has to at least look like it's punishing Sabrina. So she's suspended and sent to the Millenium Wrestling Association in Japan. It's not intended to be a harsh punishment and doesn't turn out all that badly for 'Brina, but she does miss her friends.
- Fan Nickname: In-Universe origin of Sun Wong's nickname, and the name of the new wrestlers ("The Upstarts").
- Fanservice: The traditional type, in spades, but Ultragirl also feels the need to fight in a flashy manner in order to rev up her fans.
- French Jerk: It's not immediately apparent when you read her dialogue, but Chloe's from France. To say she's a jerk is putting it mildly.
- Fun with Acronyms: Battling Ring Angels.Yvonne Carmichael: I purchased the Syndicate stable to get a foothold in the...ahem...BRA division...
- The Giant: Brooke to the other rookies. Unfortunately for her, there's always a Bigger Fish.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Black Widow, after being fired from Rival Angels, is jealous of Sabrina getting more exposure than her. Hmm, what's the appropriate response? Why, viciously assault her, of course!
- The Hero: Ultragirl
- Hypocritical Humor: Sabrina and Sun are in a movie theatre waiting for the commercials and previews to be over. They have also snuck in outside food and booze. Sabrina falls asleep and starts softly snoring. Sun turns to her and...Sun: QUIT SNORING!! YOU'RE GOING TO GET US CAUGHT!
- Incredibly Lame Pun: During the flashback to Sun Wong's days training and getting started in the business, one of the gimmicks suggested for her by her trainer (and thankfully rejected by Sun) sees her dressed as a fanservicey lumberjack. While trying to sell her on it:Kyle: You can call your finisher, wait for it...the Wong Lumber!
Sun: Where's the axe that goes with this outfit?
- Kayfabe: Here, there is none because Pro Wrestling Is Real.
- Lame Comeback: Monica Rumble and Brooke.Monica: Maybe that'll shut you up, idiot!
Brooke: You're not smart!
- Lampshade Hanging: When she first hears the translation of what the fans were chanting at her during her stint in Japan, Sun is less than thrilled:Akira: "Ritoru Doragon" is "Xiao Long" to you. You know, "Little Dragon". I think you've found your ring name.
Sun: Dragon? But I've tried really hard to avoid Asian cliches in my persona. Why not just call myself "Rice Eater"?
- The Millenium Wrestling Association in Japan has a women's division called "Battling Ring Angels". A.k.a. "BRA". More than one character has made it clear they think this is a very stupid name for anything other than an actual bra.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Chloe De'Sade.
- Oh Crap!: Brooke, not being Genre Savvy in the slightest, issues an open challenge. When she sees who answers it, you can tell that she's thinking these two words over and over and over.
- Oh Crap There Are Fan Fics Of Us: Sun shows Sabrina some In-Universe fanfic about the two of them. They're lesbian vampires. Sabrina is a hooker lesbian vampire. Sabrina is not amused. Sun is.
- Power Stable: Lots of them.
- Resignations Not Accepted: Non-lethal version of the trope. Anybody who tries to quit working for Yvonne Carmichael (Damage Inc's leader) before she feels like firing them has at least one severe ass-kicking in their future. The York Sisters and all three members of The Syndicate learned this the hard way.
- Rule of Cool and Rule of Drama: For these reasons, the fights that go on in the ring are real.
- Sexual Extortion: In Season 2, Atlas tries to pull this on Sabrina. She rather awesomely tells him to go screw, pissing him off.
- Tag Team Twins: Used against the York Sisters. Damage Inc. beat up one of the twins outside the ring, and then rolled her in while the referee was distracted for an easy pin.
- To Be a Master
- Token Good Teammate: Ultragirl is the only Face teammate in the Upstarts roster. Sun, though nice to Sabrina, is definitely a Heel, albeit one very popular with fans. Krystin has her own agenda and Brooke also a heel—albeit, a very dumb one.
- Tournament Arc: The TV Tournament.
- Unwitting Pawn: No matter how stupid the plan or obvious the lie, Sabrina will fall for it without fail.