Video Game: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
is an Adventure Game
released for the Nintendo Wii
by Capcom in the year 2007. The main characters of this title are:
- Zack, a member of a pirate crew consisting mostly of rabbits (with the exceptions being Zack, a human boy, and Wiki).
- Wiki, Zack's monkey friend, who has the ability to change him/her/itself into a bell.
- Barbaros, once the greatest pirate in the world, now reduced to a talking golden skull due to a curse.
- Captain Rose, The leader of the Rose Rock Pirates who constantly make trouble for the Sea Rabbits.
The plot, in a nutshell, is as follows: Zack, Wiki, and their pirate friends hear about a great treasure on a previously-uncharted island. Zack and Wiki find the treasure, a golden skull, which turns out to be Barbaros. Through the skull, Barbaros tells the duo that he will reveal the hiding spot of his vast fortune if they can find the rest of his now-golden skeleton and break the curse. Zack and Wiki accept this offer and travel across the island, solving a multitude of puzzles in order to collect the various pieces they're searching for. Most of these puzzles are solved by Wiki, who can magically transform enemies into items while in bell-form.
By the way, you'll probably die. A lot. In a number of ways that could put Dragon's Lair to shame.
While the cel-shaded graphics look cute, this is NOT a game that young children can beat easily.
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: You can talk to Barbaros while he's a skeleton and get all sorts of responses from him. One of them is a request to tell Granny to stop staring and smiling at him all day.
- Abnormal Ammo: Near the end, you have to man a cannon that shoots goons. This happens on more than one occasion.
- Always Night: The Barbaros' Mansion themed levels.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Wiki's Bell Form.
- Artistic License - Physics: Black Holes do not work that way, not even if you're the best pirate ever.
- Big Ball of Violence: Appears whenever Zack fights someone's guards or goblins. Pretty much always followed by death.
- Bleak Level: All the Barbaros' Castle levels take place at night and usually have ghosts, iron maidens, and other creepy stuff.
- Bloodless Carnage: At one point, Zack can die from being impaled. Not a speck of blood is shown though, just a really surprised face.
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his golden magical flying monkey.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Barbaros' mother apparently always told him that pirates should, "Always play for about an hour" much to his confusion.
- Butt Monkey: Those poor Goons...
- Comically Missing the Point: When Captain Hulk was told that he was "A big guy with a big heart", he responded "Guess I should lose weight".
- Convection Schmonvection: Being inches away from lava does not harm Zack in the slightest. This is, however, subverted with the goons, who, while they don't die from being near lava, visibly suffer.
- Dragon Is A Mommy: The third boss. She only emerged because Zack made its child cry and, throughout the level, only sending the tagalong baby dragon into a crying fit will provoke it to attack you repeatedly. At the end of the level, it is perfectly content to leave you alone to get the treasure after being reunited with its child.
- The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: Well, duh
- On the level 「King of the Jungle」, if you ring Wiki in the proximity of the King, he will walk towards you. The player can exploit this by ringing Wiki while separated by a cliff, and you can sneak behind him and itemize him. The player gets a bonus treasure for doing this.
- Dramatis Personae: In the intro, All the characters (even the goons) are given a freeze-frame complete with Name, likes, dislikes, and favorite food.
- Dumb Muscle: King Growl. As his in-game description puts it, he's "a few bananas short of a bunch."
- Enemy Mine: Late in the game, Zack and Captain Rose are forced to team up against a Giant Squid, leading to a very unhappy Captain Rose.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Wiki. Duh.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: The Giant Squid in 「The Great Chase」
- Evil Knockoff: In the level 「Mirror, Mirror」, we have "Zack?"
- Expressive Accessory: Zack's hat mirrors his emotions, from depressed to happy to even surprised.
- Expy: Wiki bears a strong resemblance to Data from Mega Man Legends which was also made by Capcom.
- Eyepatch of Power: Just drives the point home that Captain Hulk is captain.
- Flavor Text: Barabaros and Dimmy are a great source of trivia and interesting comments.
- Gentle Giant: Hulk, your leader, though you only know this by what Dimmy tells you since the captain doesn't say or do anything the entire game.
- Ghost Pirate: These appear as standard one-hit kill enemies in the Barabaros' Castle stage. There's also Barbaros' undead pirate lackies, though they look more like pirate mummies.
- Giant Spider: An enemy in a single volcano level. Naturally, it's on the list of ways to die.
- Guide Dang It: Most of the late levels. Luckily, in-game hints can be bought in exchange for Oracle Dolls.
- Also, the secret treasures in the aftergame. The vague hints the game gives you to find most of them will most certainly not be enough.
- Harmless Freezing: In one of the ice levels, Captain Rose is frozen solid and is simply thawed out shortly afterwards with no ill effects. She even attacks you upon being thawed out! Played straight for Zack though.
- Heroic Mime: Zack is unable to talk and often relies on his many facial expressions and Wiki to communicate.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Zack and Wiki in the final boss stage. In order to seal Gygaros and Barbaros away, the duo jump into the newly formed black hole. Near the very end, Zack manages to escape and Wiki is left to take the brunt of everything. The ending however, strongly implies that Wiki survived.
- Humongous Mecha: At the very last stage, we have Gygaros, the pirate reptile.
- Idle Animation: When doing nothing, Zack will pant in the Volcano levels, shiver in the Ice world, and simply eat some chocolate everywhere else.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: In one level, Zack can shrink to the size of an ant to go under a door, and then change back through mad science.
- Instant Sedation: On one of the first levels, Zack has to put a sleep mushroom into the goblins' soup to ride the bird shaped vehicle to the chest undisturbed. (If he doesn't, he ends up in the soup.)
- Irony: Barabaros' situation.
Barbaros: To think, I spent my whole life as a pirate in search of gold and now I'm made of the stuff!
- Item Get: Getting any named objects or opening any chest with treasure causes Zack to do this. Taken Up to Eleven with Secret Treasures, where Zack and Wiki dance for joy while the item just floats there.
- Joke Item: The Golden Sword, which will simply break in combat unless you make all your strikes connect; then it will kill the zombie like the normal sword.
- Lethal Lava Land: The volcano themed levels.
- Letting the Air out of the Band: 「Lake of Fire」 is all about getting the lava in the level into the crater where the treasure is. Attempting to get to the chest without the lava and instead cutting the wooden pillar down, will get the chest to the ground and make it seem like victory for a moment... and then the victory fanfare stalls and the chest wobbles off a cliff, causing Zack to sulk.
- Lock and Key Puzzle: Almost all the levels are like this.
- Lovable Coward: Johnny is known to simply run away when there's any trouble and come straight back when all is calm. Averted in the last levels in the game, where he is a huge help.
- Light and Mirrors Puzzle: Involving a laser beam and an ice monster.
- Lipstick and Load Montage: Parodied. When we first see Captain Rose, we see her glitzing herself up so she can look her best while defeating the Sea Rabbits. She puts on her signiature lipstick... and then puts some on her cheek to make it look like Tribal Face Paint.
- The Many Deaths of You: Squished by a giant boulder, fall into a river of magma, freeze yourself, fall off a waterfall, eaten alive... there's a multitude of ways to fail a puzzle, as the unsuspecting soon learn, and each death has a unique scene associated with it. See most of them here (and a sequel containing the rest.)
- Marathon Level: The second to last level is incredibly long compared to all the other levels in the game, and plus there's no checkpoints.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Whether it be bodily harm by lava, frost breath, missiles, large falls, or Zack's personal use (sometimes semi-justified), the same seven goons will always appear in the next level ready for more punishment.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Undead pirates!
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Captain Rose excels at this trope.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Wiki yet again.
- Nonindicative Name: No, you cannot edit the levels in this game.
- Non-Standard Game Over: In 「Frost Breath」, failing to properly align the mirrors three times causes Wiki to die for once. You still get a game over, though.
- Nose Art: The Rose Rock pirates' fighter plane has a giant intimidating face for a nose.
- Obviously Evil: Barbaros.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Just take a guess at who the hint oracle is.
- Parasol Parachute: Zack uses it on some levels, including the first one.
- Pirate: The entire cast is made up of only pirates. Most are type 2 (the adventurous, benign kind) barring Barbaros.
- Pirate Girl: Captain Rose.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything:
- Most of your pirate friends just hang around the hideout and never do anything for most of the game, you're the one who's always working for the treasure day in and day out. The exceptions are Johnny, who will commonly scout out levels to give you some advice, and Maddy, who checks around other parts of the island to find treasure while you are off looking for parts of Barbaros.
- This is Lampshaded in the character bios, mentioning that Loafrey and Dimmy seek out treasure in their minds while Maddy seeks out treasure in reality.
- Poop Socking: Talking to Barbaros for a while eventually leads to him saying this:
Barbaros: My mother always said that pirates should play for about an hour.
- Portal Picture: There is an entire level which revolves around interacting with the paintings in an art gallery, complete with portraits that literally watch your every move.
- Power Crystal: The orange crystal used to power the robots in 「Relics of the Past」. It's even named this.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Wiki, the cutest thing in the game bar none.
- Rube Goldberg Device: The level 「Three Colossi」 has one that leads to Zack being crushed flat unless the player finds a way to activate it without him being in the way.
- Sealed Evil In A Six Pack: Barbaros was a near deity-level pirate captain that was sealed away into several pieces of treasure. Each piece of treasure carries its own magical properties.
- Sequel Hook: At the end, Zack finds Wiki in a box washed ashore after he previously lost him in the final boss fight.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The second world.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: In the last level in the fourth world, you are required to liquify animals using a large machine. The music that plays during the process is peppy and silly.
- Space Pirates: The final level requires our heroes to become this.
- Spoiler Opening: When Zack and Wiki first find Barbaros' skull, Barbaros is really surprised that Wiki doesn't remember him considering that Wiki was the one to originally curse him in the first place.
- Stealth-Based Mission: A lot of times you have to navigate around guards or mooks in a level.
- A notable example is "Operation Takeback!" where the whole point of the mission is to infiltrate the plane, take the map, and get out all while being unnoticed.
- Tears of Blood: 「Bell Tower of Requiem」 has a stone face bleed out of its eyes into a bucket of water.
- Tech Demo Game: One of the best example of a non first person supported Wii game that exists to show off the cool motions a player could do with motion controls.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Zack's chocolate bar. He'll cheerfully take it out and munch on it in his regular idle animation.
- Treasure Map: One is awarded after every boss battle (minus the last three), which unlocks the next area.
- Tribal Carry: Any death involving goblins inevitably ends with Zack in this position.
- Tribal Face Paint: Captain Rose always sports some, albeit her "paint" is actually just some pretty expensive lipstick.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: A possible way to die in "Operation Takeback!" and just one of the many ways to get a Game Over.
- Weird Moon: In 「Bell Tower of Requiem」, you have to pick up its reflection out of a pool of water.