Thaumcraft is a Game Mod
revolving around the concept of converting materials into a raw energy called Vis. With this energy, Minecraftian wizards can infuse items, dig up the earth, and even duplicate precious gems.
We are now on Thaumcraft 4.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Advanced Golems will occasionally say quite startling lines, but you're sure that "malicious intent in their eyes is only your imagination".
- Awesome but Impractical: The Crystal Core from Thaumcraft 3, made from four mixed crystal clusters and a nether star. when the proper arcane structure is made this object pulls the nearest Aura Node to it, however the range at which it can draw aura nodes is not very far and if you wish to move a node over a large distance you need multiple cores seeing as how this requires a nether star you're going to be spending quite a bit of time in the nether for wither skulls.
- However, breaking the "used" Crystal Core yields the original number of shards (a few changed to dull) and the nether star back, so it's only necessary to replace the clusters and infuse them again.
- Cast from Hit Points: If you're desperate for Magic Tallow, letting yourself get burned in a crucible will create some...
- Or if you are using Thaumcraft in a modpack( like Feed the Beasts many modpacks) you could equip a high end armor from another mod and stand in your crucible for a few minutes, a painless form of tallow making, which may not even damage you or your armor(depending on what you had equipped).
- The Corruption: If an area's atmosphere becomes saturated with Taint, surface-level blocks will gradually change into Taint Blocks. In addition to making them impossible to extract usable resources from, most mobs that spawn on them will be Always Chaotic Evil Lightning Bruiser versions of themselves... and some of them will help the Taint spread.
- This is done away with in Thaumcraft 3, Taint being replaced with Flux. It still has consequences for overdoing things with thaumaturgy but no longer to the extent of the world destroying levels of taint that were possible in Thaumcraft 2.
- Taint is back in Thaumcraft 4, in the shape of small biomes automatically created on world gen. Their spreading can however be turned off in the mod's config file.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: most of Forbidden Knowledge is this. Ranges from "mostly harmless" to "taboo".
- Alternatively, it's the Primal Focus. Flavor text expresses confusion at why would you even create such a thing.
- Eldritch Abomination:
- Aptly named Eldritch Guardians, who can spawn in the world or drop onto your head if you have high Warp.
- The Eldritch Tree, a living monster that looks like a tree. Sturdy but immobile. Drops Eldritch Logs and Hearthwood.
- The Eldritch Grubs, small creatures that the Tree creates when attacked. Strong for their size, they drop the health-restoring yet dizzying Grub Husks.
- The Travelling Trunk, made out of Eldritch Tree remains is a living chest that adventures with you.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: the Wand Focii (in earlier versions, Wands) of Fire, Frost, and Lightning respectively.
- Giant Mook: In the third iteration of Thaumcraft,pumping too much Flux(a new mechanic to replace taint) into the Aura can result in "A nearby Node spews forth something Foul." which means a Giant version of an angry zombie has spawned. Hitting it makes it grow even larger and can kill you in three hits with iron armor.
- Giant Angry Zombies spawn when there is too much mortuus aspect in the aura as flux, seeing as how zombie flesh is an easy source to make Magic Tallow from, when you dont have Basic Flux research done and the arcane alembics made, these tend to be common if you like making Tallow from Zombie Flesh.
- Golem: You can make those to automate a lot of different tasks like harvesting, fishing, sorting, and even anything that requires left- or right-clicking.
- Flesh Golem: ...and then you can make those, though it's a Forbidden Knowledge.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: According to flavor text, temporary version of this happens to you when you complete the appropriately named "Eldritch Revelation" research, completely with page full of alien hieroglyphs you don't remember writing. Of course, to even attempt understanding such things one needs a rather special mindset to begin with...
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Wand of the Thaumaturge in Thaumcraft 3, it is bar none the game's best wand for use in Thaumaturgy holding 1000 Vis. You do however need to research a number of things before the ability to research this wand comes up, and once you do unlock it, you find out you need a Nether Star. Have fun summoning and killing The Wither.
- The Primal Staff in Thaumcraft 4. Capable of holding ridiculous amount of Vis and regenerating all aspects to some degree, its research requires a lot of tampering with Forbidden Knowledge.
- Kill It with Fire: The Fire Focus. Comes in three flavors: spray, beam and Fireball.
- Kill It with Ice: The Frost Focus. Used to be able to freeze water into ice. Sadly it was Dummied Out, and now it can act as sort of magical shotgun.
- Magitek: a lot of research topics on Thaumaturgy and Artifice tech trees seem to be this.
- Malevolent Masked Men: Their faces hidden under helmets and hoods, the Crimson Cultists attempt to refine a ritual, known as "Opening of the Eye". You doubt it's a good thing.
- But you can still try and complete it yourself.
- Portable Hole: There is a wand focus called the portable hole, which opens up a temporary tunnel, which the player can pass through.
- Power at a Price: players who have been delving into Forbidden Research, using void items or doing other questionable things accumulate Warp. It can be temporary, stable but removable, or permanent. Effects can range from hallutinations to a hit squad of EldritchAbominations spawning next to you.
- Shock and Awe: The Lightning Focus. Fortunately, using it on a creeper does not supercharge it.
- Shout-Out: The Travelling Trunk is a shout-out to Discworld's Luggage.
- Shmuck Bait: some of Forbidden Knowledge acts as a gate to very useful non-forbidden research. Thus, deciding to stay away from shady territory altogether will leave you out of a better half of mod's content.
- Things Man Was Not Meant to Know : Forbidden Knowledge. Learning it will leave a permanent mark on your character.
- Too Dumb to Live: People who actually summon the Super Charged Thaumic Slimes without backing up their world.