NarratorSpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge
: Ahhh, 'ere we are at Bikini Bottom...and today we will be following my favorite creature SpongeBob SquarePants on his adventures around Bikini Bottom. Today he is in search of the Best Birthday Present ever, for his best friend Patrick. The question is how far will he go for his best friend?
is a Platform Game
released for the PlayStation
and Game Boy Advance
in 2001. The game was developed by Climax Group
and was published by THQ
SpongeBob is in search of the best birthday present for his best friend, Patrick Star. And what could be better than an autograph from his favorite superheroes, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy
? Unfortunately, they are less than happy to see SpongeBob and decide to keep him away by giving him quests
that could potentially harm or kill
the little sponge.
And so is the beginning of a brand new adventure where SpongeBob will journey through Bikini Bottom, Rock Bottom, through the center of the earth, and even through time
to save Patrick's birthday!
A decent casual platformer that sold well and received average reviews. It's SpongeBob's first step into the world of console platforming. Seeing the fun and lovable sponge embark on a grand journey is a pretty big step from what we've seen from his show. He is now leaping through lava, travelling through time, and closing down canning factories, all while retaining his optimistic and carefree personality.
The game is divided into five "chapters" which consist of four levels in which SpongeBob must collect four things needed to fulfill Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's requests. (e.g. Chapter One has you finding ingredients to make Mermaid Man a sandwich.)
Although the PlayStation
version is seen as far superior than the Game Boy Advance
version, the games overall were dubbed as average
by some people and critics. Despite this, the PS version managed to earn a "Greatest Hits" title, which was a green bar on the side of the box instead of the usual black. The game is notable for its catchy soundtrack that is full of upbeat and energetic tunes in the style of the series' music. Most players agree that the music was one of the best features of the game.
This video game provides examples of:
- 1-Up: In the form of underpants!
- Critical Annoyance: A constant beeping sound will play when you have no golden spatulas.
- This gets worse when you lose a life or start a level, because you will always start off with zero spatulas. Which means that you will always hear that beeping sound until you finally get one spatula.
- Determinator: SpongeBob.
- Easing Into the Adventure: The first chapter of the game has SpongeBob collecting ingredients to make a sandwich by exploring parts of his hometown, Bikini Bottom. The levels have a rather simple, Super Mario Bros. 1 layout by having the levels go from left to right with no exploring upwards or downwards. But the second chapter suddenly throws you into unknown territory outside of Bikini Bottom and the levels become bigger and more complex, almost dungeon-like.
- Excuse Plot: The story revolves around getting a birthday present for Patrick.
- Fetch Quest: The entire game is a quest around the world, fetching the things that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy tell SpongeBob to get so that he can get an autograph from them.
- Follow the Leader: Follows in the footsteps of platformer pioneers, such as the Super Mario Bros. (Starting a level has a black screen showing the name of the level and how many lives you have) and Sonic the Hedgehog games. (Collecting golden spatulas and losing them just like Sonic's rings)
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: At the end of every level, there is an object that you must collect.
- Ground Pound: The butt bounce is SpongeBob's default attack.
- Law of 100: Collecting 100 golden spatulas earns you an extra life.
- Mutually Exclusive Powerups: You can only carry one item at a time but luckily you can switch between them.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: When SpongeBob has no golden spatulas on him. As long as he has one, it's a Single-Use Shield.
- Plot Coupon: You have to collect one at the end of each level to move on to the next level and eventually the next chapter.
- The bonus levels take place in an amusement park called "Six Clams Adventure Park".
- Notice the Sponge-Signal in the background on the box art?
- Sprite/Polygon Mix
- Utility Weapon: SpongeBob can collect power-up items such as:
- Attack Animal: The Jellyfish Net. It allows you to catch up to 5 jellyfish and toss them at other enemies to defeat them.
- Weapons That Suck: The Coral Blower. Allows you to pick up seashells and throw them to destroy rock walls at the cost of losing your butt bounce and a lot of friction. Doubles as an Improvised Weapon since you can kill enemies as well.
- Ray Gun: The Jelly Launcher. It lets you shoot jellyfish more efficiently, carry more ammo than the net, refuel ammo with jellyfish jars, and you can hold down the shooting button to shoot five jellyfish at once!
- Temporary Platform: The Bubble Wand. You can blow bubbles to step on them for a few seconds and you can refuel by collecting soap bottles.
- However, some power-ups only last for a limited time, such as:
- Invincibility Power-Up: Squeaky Boots. You aren't invincible against enemies, but it will allow you to walk on spikes and dangerous surfaces.
- Glove Slap: Karate Glove. You can chop down your enemies with ease.
- Balloonacy: Glove World Balloon. You can jump higher and float to the ground slower and steadier.
- Videogame Settings: Despite the entire game taking place Under the Sea, it has a rather expansive set of environments outside of Bikini Bottom.
- Chapter One: Bikini Bottom
- Green Hill Zone: Jelly Fields.
- Gimmick Level: Sandy's Tree Dome, the only level that takes place out of water and SpongeBob must periodically jump into pools of water to replenish the water in his helmet.
- First Town: Downtown Bikini Bottom.
- Chapter Two: To The Center Of The Earth
- Chapter Three: Bikini Bottom Prehistoric Times
- Chapter Four: Rock Bottom
- Chapter Five: Industrial
- Remixed Level: Jelly Fields (Industrial Version). The fields are now all covered in oil and the level is a lot more difficult than last time.