SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
"Ah! Peaceful, sleepy Bikini Bottom! The creatures of the sea are deep in slumber, their night-brains exploring the mysterious world of dreams..."
is a video game published by THQ
and developed by Blitz Games
based upon the Nickelodeon
series SpongeBob SquarePants
The game follows the adventures of SpongeBob, Patrick and Plankton as they travel through their dreams.
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab provides examples of the following tropes:
- Art Shift: Various levels are depicted in differing art styles. For example, Patrick's first chapter is presented in a Cel-shaded comic book style, Plankton's second chapter is presented like an old monster film, and Spongebob's first chapter is presented in an odd grotesque, surrealist style.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In his second chapter, Plankton grows to more than 50 ft tall and rampages through Bikini Bottom while chasing a Krabby Patty.
- Darker and Edgier: It is cited as the darkest game ever made of SpongeBob. Also added quite a bit of Nightmare Fuel, more than in any other SpongeBob game.
- Jigsaw Plot: At first all three characters' plots are presented separately, but eventually all three converge into one story.
- Talking to Himself: Every single character in Patrick's first chapter is voiced by Bill Fagerbakke.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Each chapter features a different type of gameplay, whether it be racing, beat-em-up, platformer, or shmup.
- Villain Protagonist: When you play as Plankton.