Video Game / Luminous Arc 3
Luminous Arc 3: Eyes
is the third game in the Luminous Arc Turn-Based Strategy
series by Imageepoch
. It has been out in Japan for some time now, but there are currently no plans to localize it elsewhere. So of course, Fan Translation has started
The story focuses on the war between humans and monsters known as "Felicia" (instead of Witches, contrasting the previous two games) over the power of the (non-human) Eyes, which grant humans the gift of magic.Lefy
, who has the power, enrolled in the academy for Magi Knights
after Reinhardt, a Felicia, kills his childhood friend while he (Reinhardt) is searching for the power of the Eye.
The Dating Sim
elements are more involved and affect battles. When Lefy becomes close enough to a certain character, he'll receive a Zodiac Card
, which will allow a powerful Unison Strike attack when that character is adjacent to Lefy in battle.
Like the previous games, it'll support online battles and have an anime opening.
This game provides examples of:
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts
- Arbitrary Head Count Limit: Up to 6 characters can be deployed in one battle.
- Back Stab: This mechanics returns from the previous games. Hitting enemies from behind in cobat increases the physical damage
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Some portraits for the Unison Strikes show this with Lefy and his partner.
- Battle Butler: Dino.
- Big Eater: Lefy. It is unclear whether he gets kind of conditioned to feel hungry everytime he sees Elulu (which she complains about) or is just starving 24/7.
- Bishounen: Notably Levi and Haine(When he is cool).
- Bling of War: Most of the characters are way too well-dressed for the battlefield. Lefy post-change, I'm looking at you!
- Boys Love:Dino's route, with a tease in Glen's and Yuu's
- Boobs of Steel: Inverted as female fighters Ashley and Lyra are not so well endowed. Played straight with Valerie.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happens to Glen in the middle thanks to the corruption of the Violet Lapistier. Depending on the dialogue choices, that character will either be Killed Off for Real or return back to normal.
- Character Customization: You can surprisingly decide how your unit can grow when levelling up by choosing one of 2 possible stat growths available; Balanced allows you to have, you know, balanced distribution in offensive and defensive stats while Unique has stat growth exclusive to that unit only, allowing for more variation. The drawback is that it's a predetermined, meaning you can have a growth in which you increase a stat useless to certain unit (adding too much accuracy to Sion who is basically a mage with crappy attack points) or rendering your unit easier to die (Sara has addition of only 2-3 HP with almost no defensive stat addition in one level).
- Child Mage: Yu, who is pretty much outclass everyone else in magic. Sara also counts.
- Combat Medic: Elulu, Sion, and Sara all gain a mass-healing spell in addition to powerful magic attacks.
- Color-Coded Wizardry: Human's Lapistier are blue, Felicia's green and Nefiria's purple.
- Deadly Upgrade: Lefy receives one of these when trying to save Elulu's life. The more he used his power, the more he lost his senses.
- Elemental Powers: Esements from the previous game; Fire, Water, Dark, Earth/Nature, Light, Wind, Silver, and Neutral.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Along with element opposition also from the previous game, this one adds another gimmick which is elemental superiority with Fire —> Dark —> Wind —> Fire in one group and Water —> Light —> Earth —> Water for the rest (arrows indicating strong against). Silver takes less damage from and inflicts damage to other elements and Neutral doesn't alter damage result.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Princess Inalunadia
- Expy: Sara is a complete Expy of Chiaki from the Minami-ke anime: same voice acting, same hair color, same body type, same attitude, and even uses Chiaki's catchphrase "BAKAYAROU" rather often.
- Some character for some reason, are mix of two previous series character or expy themself.
- Glen is a remodeled Rasche (See The Lancer below).
- Evil Counterpart Race: The Felicia and Nefiria are the two race of fairy and devil. Their ruler Smirsaff and Yorg are also opposite gender and element.
- Face–Heel Turn: Glen, can be temporary or permanent depending on your actions
- Valerie. No one sees that coming.
- Fallen Hero: Oh boy Arnogia..
- Fanservice: A lot!!
- Female Angel, Male Demon: Miria and Anogia
- Subverted with Smirsaff and Yorg.
- Gainaxing: Orumorudi in the opening.
- Gay Option: Dino's ending and perhaps Yuu's due to heavily implied crossdressing.
- Glass Cannon: Despite being one of the strongest physical fighters, Layla cannot take much punishment. Lefy is almost as bad, and that's before having him use his Armor Shift skill (which diminishes by a good chunk his defensive stats while boosting the offensive ones). There is a reason his class name is Berserk.
- Most physical fighter are actually this type except Ashley and Heine, Ashley is, however very weak to magical attacks thus bringing her in battle against Dia can be dangerous.
- God Is Evil
- Guide Dang It: Figuring out how to unlock some of the side battles, or even that they exist, without a guide is incredibly difficult and time-consuming.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Miria, the angel of hour, two in one.
- Heel–Face Turn: Bonaparte and Orumorudi
- Holy Hand Grenade: Inaluna.
- Ill Girl - Elulu
- Instant-Win Condition: Used and subverted. In certain battles, killing the target ASAP will win you the battle and lose you the game.
- Lady of War: Ashley and Valerie.
- Light Is Not Good: Anogia at first.
- Level-Up at Intimacy 5: Refi gains the insanely powerful Unison strike with each character if his heart level with that character is completely filled up.
- Limit Break: The Flash Drive and the Unison Strike.
- Magic Knight: Well, duh.
- MacGuffin: Several of them, including the Witch's Eye, Aura Lapis, Tenes Lapis and Seraphim Ring.
- The Mole: Several of them.Glen, Valerie, Agonia and Miria (who is forced turn evil but really not evil).
- Mr. Fanservice: Everything about Dino: his looks, his fanservice outfit, his backstory, etc. He actually bears a striking resemblance◊ to Japanese hosts.
- Ths bath scene kinda count too. Damn Anogia...
- Multiple Endings: Implemented with the Dating Sim elements
- New Game+: Lets you carry over all your items, money, weapons, party members, etc. This is also the way to unlock one of Levi's strong weapons.
- No Export for You: Although the past two games have been localized, a localized version of this one has yet to be announced. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that this game will be localized. Oh, Atlus!
- 100% Completion: Good luck getting it without a guide.
- Overly Long Name: Inalunadia. Everyone calls her Inaluna.
- The last one might be reference to Dia from  who uses light magic like her.
- Person of Mass Destruction - Anogia. High attack, magic, tec, HP along with decent in other stats except movement.
- Power Crystal: Every characters, be it playables or enemies, has Lapistier embedded inone part of their body. Levi has two on his upper hands.
- Rapunzel Hair - Sion, Fran, Inaluna, Orumorudi, Ashley.
- Replacement Goldfish - It is implied that Dino sees Lefy as a replacement for his dead lover Royce Ashley's brother.
- Requisite Royal Regalia - Followed to a T by Inaluna's father.
- Rose Haired Girl: Ashley and Kirika. Ashley's complete with Happily Ever After marriage to Lefy in her ending.
- The Lancer: Although Glen starts as Meigas' leader, his brother-like bond with Lefy, their complementary nature and their character development make him perfectly fit the role. Oh, and he also happens to wield a halberd, which might remind you of something.
- Theme Naming: For light user there are Inalunadia,Dia and Anogia for "D or G -ia". Also MirIA.
- Sara and Sion since they are sisters.
- And for wind user "S"ion,SADIE and DIno.
- Really 700 Years Old: Lyra is the master of Taoist who is later revealed to be at least thousand years old as her name was written in the Memory of Star Book.
- The Reveal: Nurse Fran is actually Olmoldee. Not that it's hard anyway.
- Valerie was a member Nefiria race, and was the one who killed Royce, Ashley's brother. And to top it of, Tenes Lapis is Royce's.
- Anogia and Miria used to be students at Urguard.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Lefy
- Save Scumming: Used for best breaks.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- Ashley's first appearance is very similar to Motoko from Love Hina. Poor Lefy...
- The breast touching sound some how appeared in Glen's bath event
- Sirens Are Mermaids: Elulu
- Something About a Rose: Ashley, which nicknamed her "Black Rose Knight". The roses that are planted in front of Urgaurd are planted by her brother, Royce
- Her theme song is even named "Lady of Black Rose"!!
- Spell Book: Yuu uses this to attack. His job class isn't named Grimoire for nothing.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Levi" or "Refi"? What the heck is "Elulu" supposed to be? "Heine" or "Haine"? Several characters' name tend to fall into this.
- Squishy Wizard: Yuu has the highest MAG stat and one of the lowest HP and DEF stats in the game. Sara and Sion are similar.
- At least Yuu can tank decent magic. Sara and Sion on the other hand their HP in "Unique" is so low that they are forced into "Balanced" for entire 99 levels which isn't that bad consirder they will have very high Atk and Tec.
- Averted with Elulu, Inaluna and Orumorudi. The latter two have high RES and HP. The former two have high SPD. And to top it of Elulu has the highest RES than of character in the game!
- Status Buff: Almost everyone has them.
- Stone Wall: Heine.
- Super Move Portrait Attack: The Unison Strikes and Flash Drives
- Stripperiffic - Orumorudi's outfit. Inaluna's to a lesser extent, mostly because she's not half as well-endowed as her. Also Elisa "Cowgirl" outfit.
- Token Mini-Moe: Sara. Also the twins Hiyo and Hina and Principal Kirika.
- Transformation Sequence: The playable characters except Anogia needs to do this along with the key phrase to be able to change into their battle form. In all chapters, all characters except Anogia at least have the priviledge to do this twice. One of them have one more chance for this if chosen for ending.
- Tsundere: Inalunadia.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: For an actual blue Elulu, Lyra and Lotta.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: What Reinhart and the Felicia has been doing since the start of the game.
- Whip It Good : Inaluna, strangely this doesn't make her look more dominatrix like.