Video Game: Defenders of Dynatron City
Defenders Of Dynatron City started out as a 1992 video game for the NES developed by Lucasfilm Games. It also got a six issue comic and an animated pilot to help with promotion... and then people actually played the game. To cut a long story short, it put a damper on whatever future the property might've had.
The setting is Dynatron City, the futuristic home of Proto-Cola
, a drink that causes mutation, much to the delight of the consumer. Unfortunately, that's not what the Mad Scientist
that created it was intending, so he falls back on the old standard of building a robot army to scare away city residents.Some stuff happens and suddenly
there is a team of super powered construction workers there to fight the bad guy. Including Jet Headstrong
, Buzzsaw Girl
, Ms. Megawatt
, Monkey Kid
and Radium Dog
Fun fact: the above image, as well as some of the comic series, were done by Steve Purcell
early in his career with LucasArts
Tropes appearing in Defenders Of Dynatron City include:
- Badass in Distress: If one of the heroes is defeated, they're captured and held hostage, requiring you to rescue them before you can use them again.
- Losing Your Head: Jet Headstrong
- May Contain Evil: Proto-Cola and it's mutating side-effects. Subverted as pretty much every single mutation is beneficial.
- Nintendo Hard
- One-Wheeled Wonder: Buzzsaw Girl, a mutant heroine whose lower body was a buzzsaw that functioned as a wheel.
- Stillborn Franchise: Detailed above.
- Timed Mission: All of the levels have a time limit. Usually one that leaves very little room for error, especially in later stages.
- Use Your Head: Jet Headstrong and Toolbox