Everybody do the Shift!Devil World
is a Maze Game
developed by Nintendo
for the Nintendo Entertainment System
. It was one of the many simple games created for the console in its early years, and was the first game designed by the partnership of Shigeru Miyamoto
and Takashi Tezuka that would go on to create Super Mario Bros
and The Legend of Zelda
. The game was released in Japan in 1984 and brought to Europe in 1987. It was later re-released on the Virtual Console
in both regions for Wii
in 2008, then on Nintendo 3DS
Tamagon, a cute little fire-breathing dragon, has a devil of a problem. He has been trapped in a box within the maze of the Devil's world. The Devil's assistants are shifting the box up, down, right, and left, threatening to squash Tamagon between the walls.
Tamagon's task is two-fold: eliminate the boa-boa dots that are the source of the Devil's evil power, and then use four bibles to seal away the Devil's icon.
The Devil would later appear as an Assist Trophy
in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Not to be confused with the Konami Arcade Game
also known as Dark Adventure
Tropes appearing in this video game:
- Auto Scrolling: Subverted, the Devil directs his minions to kill you by moving the maze
- Big Red Devil: The Devil has the standard appearance, but strangely enough, he's blue.
- Bonus Stage: The "Bonus Box" at the end of every round, where Tamagon searches for a 1-Up hidden in one of six boxes. As the Devil has flown away, Tamagon can for once control the direction of scrolling by stepping on arrows.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Not only are there crosses on the Bibles, but crosses are also the item that lets Tamagon eliminate the dots, and the maze also has big cross-shaped walls.
- Deadly Walls: They are okay to touch but don't be caught between them
- Edible Collectible: Tamagon gets bonus points from eating fried eggs or ice cream cones.
- Endless Game: The game keeps repeating the same stages over and over again. Eventually the level counter overflows and begins again from zero.
- Excuse Plot: Attack The Devil's World! (that is it)
- Instant Roast: Tamagon can breathe fire on a cyclops to turn it into a tasty fried egg. (The Japanese term for fried egg literally means "cooked eyeball.")
- Monster Modesty: The devil
- 1-Up: In the form of green eggs for scoring enough points or for doing well enough in the bonus box. If Tamagon dies an egg will fall to the stage and hatch a new one.
- Timed Mission: The Bonus Box
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tamagon likes to eat ice cream cones, though they do nothing in the game but give points.
- Respawning Enemies: Doesn't matter how many you burn, they keep coming
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: The devil turns into a bat when he loses.
- Wings Do Nothing: Tamagon and the blue enemies.
- Wrap Around: The maze itself, trying to make Tamagon do this will just get it squished.