Creator: Spectrum Animation
First founded in 1988 by Motoyoshi Tokunaga with Walt Disney Animation Japan
, Spectrum was Disney Japan's non Disney based unit
(the studios shared 20-30% of their staff), the studio is known for having spectacularly gorgeous animation (like TMS and Disney Japan) and working on 9 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series
plus the associated films Mask Of The Phantasm
and Sub Zero
. The studio also worked on other productions as well, but went out of business in 1998 as they were failing to compete in the anime market (They only did four as subcontractors. But did
do some cutscenes for some PC-FX and PS1
games), as well as the studio's debt (things like the airbrushing in Mr. Freeze's helmet did not help either) and Michael Eisner wanting to cut corners at Disney, and one way to do that was to tell Motoyoshi Tokunaga to shut down Spectrum. After that, most of their staff (like the ones that were not based through Disney Japan like Sabaro Hashimoto (who is now a arts teacher) Hiroshi Kawamata and Kazuyoshi Takeuchi (who both now work for The Answer Studio
) went to Production I.G
See also TMS Entertainment
, Studio Ghibli
and Walt Disney Animation Japan
, three other Japanese studios known for gorgeous looking animation.
Productions by Spectrum:
- A Bunch Of Munsch - With AKOM.
- Animaniacs - Ink and Paint & Camera for TMS on 3 shorts - Les Miseranimals, Pavlov's Mice (both by Yuichiro Yano) and Hisao Yokobori's Wild Blue Yonder, Animation Cooperation for the later. Done uncredited.
- Batman: The Animated Series - The studio's biggest production, 9 episodes (with 1 episode done with Dust, Beware The Gray Ghost). Also provided layouts for 12 episodes. Other studios that worked on the show include: TMS Entertainment, Sunrise, Studio Junio, NOA Animation (layouts for 2 episodes for Dong Yang and AKOM each), Koko Enterprises/Dong Yang, AKOM, Jade Animation and Lapiz Azul (aka Blue Pencil).
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures - Supervising for Korean studios.
- Captain N: The Game Master: First project, served as supervisor and storyboard artists. Also did animation during season 2. (other studios to work on the show include Saerom/Plus One Animation and Sei Young).
- Crime Crackers - Cutscenes.
- Defenders of Dynatron City - The cartoon pilot
- Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas - with other studios.
- Madeline - Four Specials, Madeline in London, Madeline's Rescue, Madeline's Christmas and Madeline and the Bad Hat.
- The Real History Of Humpty Dumpty
- Reporter Blues - Animation Cooperation for TMS.
- Silent Möbius - In-Between Animation for the first movie.
- Soccer Fever - Animation Cooperation for TMS.
- Twinbee and WinBee's 1/8 Panic (OVA) - With DR Movie and AIC.
Tropes associated with Spectrum:
- Animation Bump: Arguably one of the best studios ever established, until they went out of business.
- Off Model: Despite their quality, they do slip up on the rare occasion.