is a 2009 puzzle platformer by LucasArts
. It stars a little girl named Sofi who traverses her dreams and is not directly controlled by the player. Instead, she continually walks forward and itís the playerís job to guide her safely to the end of each level by use of randomly generated objects, such as a staircase to connect platforms and a spring to jump to otherwise out-of-reach areas.
On the opposite side of the spectrum is Limbo
Lucidity provides examples of:
- Advancing Wall of Doom: These start to appear after the first act. If Sofi gets stuck and they get too close, she'll turn around and whimper in fear until you can get her moving again.
- Auto-Scrolling Level: The entire game, since Sofi moves on her own.
- Cheerful Child: Sofi.
- Death Is a Sad Thing: The plot of the game is Sofi coming to terms with her grandmother's passing.
- Doing It for the Art
- Dream Land: The game takes place in Sofi's dreams.
- Empathic Environment: The levels in the second act, when Sofi is the most overcome by grief and confusion, start off full of Spikes of Doom and with loads more enemies, and gradually become less and less colorful. In Act 3, when Sofi begins to accept her grandmother's death, the colorful landscapes return.
- Empathy Doll Shot: It's more of an Empathy Rocking Chair Shot.
- Follow the Leader: Limbo is the Darker and Edgier variation of the theme.
- Granny Classic: Grandmother spends most of her on-screen time knitting in her rocking chair.
- Heroic Mime: Sofi, though she does her fair share of Voice Grunting and you can read her diary entries.
- Luck-Based Mission
- Nice Hat: Sofi's bright red stocking cap.
- Nintendo Hard: It can get this way when the Random Number God decides it hates you and won't give you the one item you need.
- No Damage Run: There's an achievement for completing a certain level without getting hurt.
- Scenery Porn: Everything has a paper cut-out look to it, with lots of soft, muted colors to give it a storybook feel.
- Springs Springs Everywhere: A springboard item that launches Sofi into the air. There's also a slingshot that shoots her forward.
- So Proud of You: One of Grandmother's letters conveys this message.
- Sugar Bowl: Everything in this game is adorable.
- Thanking the Viewer: Of course, there is one after the player gets pretty much everything. It is in the form of one final postcard from Sofi's grandma in the mailbox of the final bonus stage. It starts off with "Dearest Sofi" like all others, before quickly breaking fourth wall and telling her that the team at LucasArts gives thanks for playing. Then she ends it off by doing the grandmotherly thing by telling Sofi to "get off the computer and go to bed."
- X Meets Y: It's a bit like Yume Nikki crossed with Lemmings. More directly, it's a variation of Gyromite.