It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Luna Online / Luna Plus / Celesia Luna
is a Korean free-to-play MMORPG
created by EYA Interactive, which was then published by Gala-Net Inc in May 2009. Similar to some online dating sites, Luna
encourages socializing with a built-in match making system that pairs boys and girls based on their likes and dislikes. These pairs can also enter dungeon dates, which sends the two players into several waves of monsters depending on the level chosen (1-20, 21-40, etc).
With a surprising amount of classes in total (52) and a max character creation of 5, it is possible to experiment with different class combinations, such as Mage - Cleric - Priest - Warlock class line. All skills learned by cleric and priest class will still be available to the Warlock class. With the creation of families, it is possible to own a plot of land called Farms. Farms can only be purchased and operated by Families (Luna’s
term for 5-manned guilds). All these features allow female gamers who enjoy dolling up and male gamers who enjoy challenges to find their niche.
Level 20:Guard, Infantryman
Level 40:Warrior, Swordman Mercenary (H)
Level 75:Phalanx, Gladiator (H),Knight, Rune Knight (E)
Level 105:Paladin, Crusader (H),Panzer,Destroyer (H), Sword Master (E), Magnus (E)
Level 145:Lord, Death Knight (H),Arch Templar (E)
Level 20: Voyager, Ruffian
Level 40: Archer, Thief (H),Scout (E)
Level 75: Ranger, Treasure Hunter, Assassin (H), Rune Walker (E)
Level 105: Sniper, Soul Eye, Entrapper, Blade Taker (H)
Level 145:Arch Breezer (E), Blood Stalker (H) Templar Master (E)
Level 20 Cleric, Wizard
Level 40 Priest, Sorcerer, Monk (H)
Level 75 Bishop, Warlock, Inquirer (H), Elemental Master (E)
Level 105 Cardinal, Soul Arbiter, Grandmaster, Necromancer (H)
Level 145 Saint, Dark Archon (H), Arch Celebrant (E)
One of the main aspects of the game is the overabundance of available costumes to receive in-game v.i.a item mall
The General plot takes place in a fictional, floating island called Blue Land, in which many creatures inhabit. An unusual disturbance made these creatures very violent, turning them into demons, who waged war on both, Humans and Elves. The Humans and Elves decided to create an alliance to fight off the demons. The player (human, elf) acts as a wandering traveler who enters the crossfire between the forces.
In December 2010, an expansion was announced called Luna Plus,
which introduced new enemies, maps, and pets. It also introduced the playable Majin class, which appeared as black demons with the ability to dual wield daggers.
When the expansion was released (January 2011), several unfixed bugs came with it, which remained mostly unchanged for about a year. On March 2012, gPotato
closed down the official server of Luna Plus,
with no statement as to why, though it can be assumed that the developer neglected it to focus on new projects
. However, private servers of both games still exist.The most popular version, Celestia Luna
is in it's alpha stage.
As of 2013, there has been an annoucement for a relaunch of the official server for Luna Plus for Korea under a different publisher name.
This game contains examples of:
- Afraid of Blood: Ironically, the Bloody Queen is afraid of her own blood. It Makes Sense in Context.
- An Interior Designer Is You: Except the furniture doesn't last forever...
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: A particular quest in Ruins of Draconia gives a player a 3-day paper bag as a hat.
- And for defeating lizardman bosses, there is a chance of dropping lizardman costume pieces.
- Attack Reflector: One of the buffs that the final boss in the Tower of Death use is this, in which all attacks will be reflected with 2x power for 6 seconds.
- Bears Are Bad News: In both games, bears do significantly more damage than other monsters around their level. Especially the level 105 Desert Bear, who can deal over 2,000 damage without a crit.
- Big Bad: Tarintus (a demon dragon) was the major raid boss of Luna Online, who was also deemed the supposed cause of the seal to be cracked.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The Shadow demon, Striped Lizardmen, and Cursed Lizardmen, all of which states that the GM's need to stop working on night-shifts.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Luna Online follows this trope. The game world is pretty big, making walking painfully slow, but hey! You can buy a time-limited warp scroll at the cash shop! In the Luna PLUS expansion, you can also buy limited-time mounts to aid in the speed of walking.
- Call to Agriculture: Can be done, but only after you get pass level 50 and have a family.
- Combat Medic: Yes, you can even solo them until you get party members.
- Competitive Balance: Due to the freedom of distributing stat points, some would go pure STR for fighters, and some would go pure DEX for rogues.
- Glass Cannon: YMMV for this one. Commonly, the mage class and 2 handed weapon users fall into this category. Mage class can avert this trope, however, by using a 1 handed wand and equipping a regular shield.
- The Luna Plus expansion increased all classes HP and MP, but also increased the damage output and HP of the monsters as well, causing even the most sturdiest knight to take a lot of damage from a regular attack.
- Cool Pet: Many of which were not implemented properly in the luna plus expansion.
- To list unobtainable pets: A mechanical mantis, Tarantus Jr., Slime with shades, Mountable mimics, ghost assassins...
- Difficulty Spike: Level 40 is when you start fighting enemies that act as glass cannons, as they have increased attack speed, double attacks, and more power than monsters before them.
- Enemy Chatter: Almost all monsters have the capability to speak when idling, targeting, or dying. Three types of chat per action adds a little variety to them.
- Taken to higher levels in the luna plus expansion in which the monsters now talk during battle, even calling for reinforcements when their HP falls below 50%.
- Averted with high level monsters in the plus expansion, probably because they were not programmed to talk yet.
- Exponential Potential: All classes faced this issue in Luna Online, as one job change could give so many skills at a time.
- Somewhat averted in Luna Plus when class skills required much more SP and as a result, one class would specialize in a few skills at a time.
- If Majin were introduced in Luna Online, they would have so many skills that it would take 2 pages to fill them. Yikes.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief
- Floating Continent: Luna Online takes place in Blueland, a Floating Continent unto itself. There is a lower world, but it's inhabited by demons and sealed apart from Blueland to keep them from causing trouble — although the seal has cracked, causing some problems.
- Giant Mook: Slime King is one. Most of the others are quest bosses.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Sitting after a battle increases your HP and MP recovery. When the Luna Plus expansion formed, The HP and MP recovery rate boosted [i] five times [/i] the original rate, so that in under 1 minute, a player can go from low HP/MP to full HP/MP.
- Harping On About Harpies: This game contains harpies, Harpy Queen, And Harpy accesories as a quest drops.
- Item Crafting: From armor crafting to creating your own pets.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The Black Widow Scout, Chaser, Magi, and Sniper, on death, may say,"I should've leveled up more."
- Level Drain: Dying with 3% exp or less will cause your level to decrease. It can very annoying to level up, but only to die and go back to that level again.
- Level Grinding: As a usual Korean MMORPG, it fell into this category in Luna Online. It doesn't help that only a few quests are acutually worth the effort and EXP. Fact: The Expansion of Luna Plus increased EXP income from enemies and quests, making it easier for players to reach lvl 75 easier.
- Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest: Prior to Luna Plus, the level 105 job change required the destruction of over 1000 monsters (or human enemies).
- Metal Slime: The Arch Slime. Depending on the level, it may drop MP potions, Elixer Potions, Enchantment Scrolls, Nostrum chests, monster summon books, and pills that make you grow or shrink. Arch slimes have the ability to cross territory unreachable to players, so if you cannot capture it in time, its gone.
- Mook Maker: The raid boss's ability. Kierra is able to summon maids over time while Tarintus is capable of summoning Skeletons, Gargoyles, and Golems.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The player helps an elf in Tarintus to gather objects from monsters to release a dragon to remove the monsters in Blue Land. The elf was Tarintus the DEMON dragon in its sealed form, and the gathered objects broke his seal, unleashing his true form.
- One Stat to Rule Them All: A full STR warrior can kill anything with ease, a full INT Wizard ceates mass destruction on the field, and a full Evasion rogue dodges any physical attack.
- In Luna Plus, dex became the official stat to rule them all, as any haracter with about 110% evasion can dodge any non-magic based attack. As such, it became a VERY popular stat for PvE players.
- Player Killing: PK mode
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The original five main pets and some of the later pets in the expansion. Even some of the monsters count as ridiculously cute, such as the lvl 116 Tree Lizard.
- Scunthorpe Problem: The Chat filter of LUNA Online is so notoriously terrible, not only for completely blocking your intended words and replacing it with "LUNA users use more refined language. Stay classy, San Diego!" but having what seems to be no sense at all. Typing something as innocuous as "class" will result the filter message, but typing "ass" works just fine. This not only makes communication in the game practically impossible, but in a bit of irony, typing the filter phrase into the chat block also results in it being filtered. It eventually reached to the point that the publisher allows and instructed LUNA players to go into the game files and disable it themselves.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: As its own official Getting Started guide puts it, "Even death is cute in Luna Online!"
- Snake People: The Lvl 40 Lamia, the Lvl 82 Sorrowful Lamia, and the Lvl 85 Kierra, who is a raid boss.
- Super-Deformed: Harpy Junior pet. Giant head and tiny, child-like body, which isa large contrast to normal harpies. Perhaps that is why it was abandoned.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: There is a picture during the Luna Online loading client that shows a female human and a female elf kissing cutely. The G Ms deny having to do anything with the creation or even advertising of the use of said picture.
- Virtual Paper Doll: One of the main characteristics of the game, in which allows many costumes to be found and worn.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: "The cuter something is, the faster it can kill you." -GM of Luna Plus
- Winged Humanoid: Subverted. The Player can construct wings of either Black or White to increase their movement speed by 47%. Construction requires 4 fairy thread skins, 40 cotton sheets, 4 purified opal/sapphires, and 4 Fairy Wing Feathers.
- A lvl 25 tiny wing set is also availible for free after a quest, but only increases movement speed by 24%
- Lampshaded by one of the monsters , stating that it is tired of seeing males with fake wings.