Trivia / Friday the 13th
Trivia pages for each film:
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: A strange variant, while Jason's primary weapon is a Machete, he's only used it a few amount of times, the most of such being in Jason X. In addition, he's used either his strength or a vast assortment of objects, yet most claim he's used it more often in part five, despite most of those kills being from Roy Burns. Mortal Kombat X subverts this to some end by using 48% of his fighting styles (Slasher, Kill For Mother, his X-Ray, Go to Hell, and Blood Bath) while everything else uses his strength.
- Another variant; while the uninitiated mostly know Jason as "the guy with the hockey mask who kills people with a chainsaw", Jason has never wielded a chainsaw in any movie appearance. They've even been wielded against him and he still hasn't used it to retaliate.
- Channel Hop: First eight movies were by Paramount. Then after the mildly received Jason Takes Manhattan, the original producers got the rights back and sold them to New Line, who were planning to cross over with their own slasher franchise (but did two other movies before that, and a reboot afterwards). Then New Line's parent company Warner Bros. gave the rights back to Paramount in order to co-produce Interstellar. In-between, Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes worked on the reboot and is on board for a Paramount-produced sequel.
- Meaningful Release Date: Friday the 13th for many installments, naturally.
- Missing Episode: The full, uncut death scenes of a majority of the earlier installments (the ones from Part II and Part VII being major examples) are gone for good save for still images.
- The Other Darrin: Jason's unmasked face looks different in every entry of the series, ranging from slightly misshapen to fully rotted.
- Jason himself. Only once as the same actor returned to play Jason in more than one film, that actor being Kane Hodder (who played Jason in Parts VII - X).
- Referenced by...: Has its own page.
- What Could Have Been:
- An unmade novel would've had Jason's spirit possess a scarecrow.
- At one point, producer Sean S. Cunningham planned to make a television series called Crystal Lake Chronicles, which would have followed the everyday life of Crystal Lake, with Jason as a recurring background character.
- The Wiki Rule: The Friday the 13th wiki.
- Word of God: According to the composer Harry Manfredini, the famous background Jason chant, ("ki ki, ki, ma ma ma") is supposed to be short for "kill, mommy."
- Jason has always been played by a career stuntsman. Stuntsmen are not actors. They don't usually get big roles in movies, nor do they need to pull off dramatic performances. Since they're filling in for the stars, they don't even become well-known by the public. Friday the 13th is one of the few exceptions.
- This is a combination of his action scenes, and the fact that you don't see his face or hear any dialogue from him.
- That said, once filmmakers started taking the character of Jason seriously, they looked for stuntmen who could also craft a physical performance behind the costume, mask, and makeup, leading to Kane Hodder playing Jason multiple times (the only actor to do so), despite him being notably shorter than most other Jasons, because he gave the character such a terrific physicality.