Mindjammer is a new sci-fi RPG running on the Fate Core
rules set in the New Commonality of Humankind.
Ten thousand years ago Old Earth began to send out Generation Ships
to colonize distant stars, followed by millennia of stagnation and decay. Two hundred years ago Earth discovered Planar drive
, reinvented itself as the Commonality, and set out to spread civilization to its wayward colonies, with mixed results.
Another big part of the setting is the Mindscape, a network that people communicate through and upload memories into via implants, and kept up to date across interstellar distances with ships known as Mindjammers.
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: Some lost colonies and alien worlds are deemed unsuitable for contact and quarantined. However the Commonality prefers uplift whenever possible.
- The Alternet: The Mindscape
- Bottomless Magazines: Fate usually advises players not to bother keeping track of ammo, instead the GM can declare they've run out when it seems most dramatic. But in Mindjammer most TL 9 projectile weapons have a small Makepoint that automatically regenerates spent ammo and energy weapons run on zip reactors so characters really do have bottomless magazines.
- Brain Uploading: A character with a Mindscape implant can create a "thanogram" snapshot of their memories and personality. The process causes severe brain damage however, and it's generally accepted in the Core Worlds that an AI programmed from a thanogram, or eidolon, is not the same person that produced those memories. There is a meme plaguing many Rim worlds known as the "transmigration heresy" that considers eidolons to be reincarnations of their original.
- Democracy Is Bad: It's one of the memes that the Commonality bans in the Core Worlds. They prefer a "benevolent" oligarchy.
- Electronic Telepathy: The other major use of the Mindscape.
- The Empire: The Venu, a highly xenophobic theocratic empire that served as the Commonality's first big clue that their intrusions weren't always welcome. And the reason they reintroduced a military.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: 2-space travel is like hyperspace and enables speeds of 3 lightyears per day, but cannot be used for communication other than ships carrying messages. 3-space can go 3 lightyears in one second, but can only be accessed through large and expensive Far Gates that have so far only been built in the Core Worlds and Sector capitals.
- Genius Loci: Many buildings and vehicles are sentient. The entire ecosystem of Chembu, including the hominid colonists, is one of the more extreme examples.
- Hegemonic Empire: The New Commonality of Humankind prefers to incorporate cultures rather than conquer or exterminate them.
- Hive Mind: Using the Mindscape it's possible to create a limited version called a gestalt for brief periods. The ecosystem of Chembu forms a single planetary intelligence, and when hominids colonized it welcomed them in.
- Human Subspecies: A lot of genetic engineering has gone on in the last ten thousand years.
- Living Ship: Chembu Bioships.
- Longevity Treatment: Most Commonality humans are genetically engineered to stop aging at a certain point, elsewhere rejuve treatments might be available intermittedly. Though Earth had mandatory euthanasia at the age of five hundred up until the discovery of Planar drive.
- Lost Colony: Space is full of them.
- Matter Replicator: Makepoints actually do create matter.
- Mega Corp.: Corporacies. Some are effectively planetary or even interstellar governments.
- Population Control: In the Core Worlds sexual reproduction requires a license. And anyways most kids are produced by genurgy and raised communally.
- Sapient Ship: You can play one. They are necessary to navigate 2-space and are almost always eidolons. The Venu use human brainjacks but the process drives them insane.
- Shout-Out: The setting in general has been described as Traveller meets Eclipse Phase.
- Technology Uplift: The Commonality's preferred method of assimilating lost colonies, usually starting by installing a local Mindscape node. Though some planets are deemed "unacceptable" and quarantined for some time. They also have a habit of letting Corporacies do most of the work.
- Ten Thousand Years: after Old Earth started sending out Sleeper Starships to colonize distant stars. And two centuries after Earth discovered 2-space drive and began recontacting those colonies.
- Transferable Memory: Called "exomemories" any character with a Mindscape implant can share their memories.
- Virtual Ghost: Eidolons, generally accepted to not be the person they were programmed from. And the most common form of strong AI in the Commonality.
- Uplifted Animal: Xenomorphs. Some worlds treat them as slaves, while the Sentience Alliance is a Successor State along the Commonality/Venu border that is composed almost entirely of xenomorphs.
- The War of Earthly Aggression: Something that the Commonality faces more often than they expected.
- We Will Spend Credits in the Future: The Expansionary Era Currency Unit is often called the "credit", however it is only used by traders on the Fringe, the Core Worlds have no need for currency.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Before the Expansionary Era the Commonality treated Xenomorphs as slaves while AIs had full rights, seeing how Artificial intelligence is produced from the uploaded memories of deceased humans. Things are starting to change since the Commonality assimilated some cultures that treated Xenomorphs as equals but laws vary from system to system.