Oftentimes when the author tries to make it sound like something is positively ancient by stating that it is ten thousand years old. One common use is the supposed sinking of Atlantis. Many cultures have a distinct word for 10,000 that is often used to refer to any indefinite large number. Currently the development of agriculture is estimated as having been ten thousand years ago. And the earliest example of print is much younger than 8,000 BC.
Compare Thousand Year Reign
. May be a case of Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale
Anime and Manga
- In ∀ Gundam, it's been ten thousand years since the Dark History of space warfare ended in a catastrophe that nearly wiped out human life on Earth. It's taken that long for the land to recover enough to support a society analogous to World War I America.
Film - Animated
- First Comics' Mars by Mark Wheatley and Marc Hempel has the advance team of terraformers lose contact with Earth, and decide to let their robots reshape the planet Mars on automatic while they place themselves in stasis pods for ten thousand years in the hope that Mars will be habitable by then.
- Dune takes place in the year 10,191 AG, after the Spacing Guild was founded and the Imperium established.
- On Gor years are measured by locally significant events such as Year X of King Y's reign. For the sake of stability many locations also date their years in CA, "Contassa Ar" or "from the founding of Ar" (Gor's largest city-State). In the first book it's 10,119 CA.
- In Heinlein's Magic, Inc. Ditworth is sentenced to ten thousand years of imprisonment by Satan for being defeated with white magic. Fraser notes that it's like the demonic equivalent of six months in prison.
- In Stargate Atlantis the Earth-Atlantis Expedition returns to Atlantis and the Pegasus Galaxy 10,000 years after the Lanteans lost the Wraith war, sank Atlantis, and retreated back through the Stargate to Earth.
- In Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Rita Repulsa was locked up for 10,000 years in a "Space Dumpster" on the moon, as she helpfully reminds viewers in the Opening Narration sequence before every season 1 episode. This currently serves as the page quote.
- Babylon 5: When Delenn explains the Shadows and the First Ones to Sheridan, she tells him the last time they made open war with each other was 10,000 years ago. The last war against the Shadows, on the other hand, was a mere 1,000 years ago.
- In Farscape the Peacekeepers have been around for even longer, they were established 27,000 cycles ago and have been acting on their own without their Eidelon masters for 12,000 cycles.
- In the song "I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago" the narrator claims to have been born 10,000 years ago, claiming to have witnessed much of the Bible's history.
I was born about 10,000 years ago
There ain't nothing in this world that I don't know
I saw Peter, Paul and Moses
Playing Ring Around the Roses
And I'll lick the man who says it isn't so
- The Rolling Stones' foray into space-rock:
It's so very lonely, you're ten thousand light years from home...
- The more recent catastrophic events in Warhammer 40K happened around the thirtieth millenia, 10,000 years earlier (the Fall of the Eldar and the rise of Chaos). The people who were alive back then (Asdrubael Vect, Ezekyle Abaddon) are noted to be among the most dangerous people in the galaxy.
- Mindjammer takes place 10,000 years after Old Earth started sending out Sleeper Starships to colonize distant stars. And two centuries after Earth discovered 2-space drive and began recontacting those colonies.
- Orion's Arm currently covers up to 10,600 years of the future.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The number ten thousand is used in many different contexts as a stand in for the infinite, for example Wan Shi Tong, the guardian of the Spirit Library, describes himself as "he who knows ten thousand things".
- In the sequel series, The Legend of Korra, Harmonic Convergence is an event that occurs once every ten thousand years. During this the spirit of light Raava and the spirit of darkness Vaatu battle to decide whether the next ten thousand years will be those of light or those of darkness.
- Many East Asian languages use the phrase "ten thousand years" to wish another person or thing a long life (the English versions is "Long live..."). The Japanese version of this is "Banzai!".
- The invention of agriculture is typically estimated at circa 8,000 BC, roughly ten thousand years ago.