Series: Nighty Night
Nighty Night is a British dark comedy sitcom written by and starring Julia Davis. It was first broadcast on 6 January 2004 on BBC Three before moving to BBC2. The show follows narcissistic sociopath Jill Tyrell (Julia Davis)as she learns her husband has cancer and develops an obsession with womanising doctor Don Cole who has a wheelchair bound wife Cath.
This series contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Terry Tyrell
- Black Comedy Rape: Glenn as his backstory by his deceased wife and when he is in a secure unit, Lynda being forced to give her abusive boyfriend a blow job and Jill trying to seduce a 12 year old boy
- Black Widow: Jill tries to be one to get Glenns money but never succeeds in killing him
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Jill. Cath a bit with Don but he gives her plenty of reason
- Crapsack World: There are very few nice characters on Night Night and they get frequently abused. There's little justice for anyone on the show
- Crossesthe Line Twice: About twice an episode on this show
- Domestic Abuse: Jill to Terry and Linda's boyfriend Dennis towards her
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Surprisingly averted with Glenns deceased wife. Her abuse may be played for laughs but its made clear she was a dangerous rapist and abuser
- Drivento Suicide: One of Jill's unfortunate clients and Glenn - sort of
- Drives Like Crazy: Jill trying to give Cath a miscarriage
- Even Evil Has Standards: Averted. Jill has no standards about anything. Don on the other hand won't abandon a pregnant woman
- False Rape Accusation: Jill to Bruce but since he's 12 she's hardly taken seriously
- Girlon Girl Is Hot: Lynda's abusive boyfriend wants to see her and Jill have lesbian sex and Don enjoys watching women kissing each other at the retreat
- Going Commando: Jill in front of a Vicar and his wife
- Good People Have Good Sex: Averted with Cath who is nice but doesn't like sex. Played with regarding Jill whose husband can't bring himself to have sex with her.
- Hypocritical Humor: Frequently. "I'm not a malicious woman and I will strike down the first person who says that I am."
- Insane Troll Logic: You could write a book on Jills ludicruos attempts to shift blame away from herself
- It's All About Me:Jill Tyrrell: Why does everything happen to me!Terry Tyrrell: Look, love, it'll be okay. It's not really that bad. It's me who's got the cancer.
- Kickthe Dog: Don in series 2 planning to run off with disabled wifes best friend just as his wife has given birth to their third child. Too many from Jill to count
- Manipulative Bitch: Jill. She's not that good at it but the other characters are dumb enough to fall for her blatantly obvious manipulations
- Never My Fault: Always done by Jill using Insane Troll Logic.
- Not So Great Escape: Glenn digs a tunnell from his cell at the secure unit to the sewers and travels for hours to finally find himself . . . back at the cell he escaped from
- Put Off Their Food: Don when Jill talks about Glenn needing his nappy changed
- Rapeas Backstory: Glenn and Jill supposedly but she appears to be lying
- Running Gag: "We'll settle up later. Otherwise it just gets nasty"
- The Unfair Sex: Oh so very much averted especially in Jill and Terry's marriage
- Your Cheating Heart: Don is unfaithful to Cath multiple times. Terry cheated on Jill years ago with Lynda