A Christmas Episode
— Bart accidentally destroys the family's Christmas presents and blames the disaster on a burglar, resulting in the rest of the town opening its hearts and wallets for them.
- As Himself: Alex Trebek, who doesn't take kindly to Marge's -$5200 loss.
- Christmas Episode: Probably the most depressing one since "Marge Be Not Proud."
- Downer Ending: The Springfieldians make off with all of the Simpson family's possessions (including the cat and dog) just so they can repay the debt.
- Game Show Appearance: Marge goes on Jeopardy! to try to repay Springfield, but ends up with -$5200 instead.
- Epic Fail: Marge losing so bad on Jeopardy that she now owes $5200 to Alex Trebek.
- Irony: Bart sets fire to the Christmas tree with a toy fire truck.
- Present Peeking: Bart intentionally drinks lots of water to wake up early (but not before going to the bathroom). He goes peeking at the presents before everybody else, and he ends up destroying the tree and the gifts in a fire.
- The Scrooge: When the townsfolk were donating money to the Simpsons, Mr. Burns asked if somebody had change for a button.