Recap / The Simpsons S 16 E 2 Alls Fair In Oven War
Marge enters a baking contest, where she cheats after other contestants ruin her entry. Meanwhile, Bart uses Homer's old Playdude
magazines to live life as a swinging bachelor.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Homer thinks the joke about an octopus having sex with bagpipes is hilarious.
- Affably Evil / Jerkass: All the contestants (except one) towards Marge. They all act rude and try to ruin her entry because they all see her as a legitimate threat to their entries. It was good for her she got them back, but she was crossing it when trying to sabotage the final contestant.
- Bait and Switch:
- When Marge is going through the rundown kitchen, first a cupboard door breaks off, then the bottom of a drawer caves in, then when Marge opens the refrigerator...the back of her dress rips.
- When Marge receives a letter from the bake-off, it at first sounds like a rejection letter...but then it's revealed that Marge was accepted.
- Blatant Lies:
- Homer tells Marge that he only keeps his Playdude magazines for the stories. Marge cuts off all pictures of women and Homer throws away what's left of the magazines.
- There's also the contractor who promised Marge the new kitchen would be ready in three weeks when it takes two years.
- Broken Pedestal: Marge disappoints Lisa by cheating. Lisa feels better after Marge publicly confesses.
- Children Are Innocent: Bart and the other kids are completely unaware of the Double Entendre used in Playdude. Unfortunately, this upsets their parents who are more sexually aware than them.
- Epic Fail: While trying to build the new kitchen, Homer ends up using too much plaster on the ceiling, leaving him and Marge to need to stand on their knees.
- Expy: The food personalities in Homer's Imagine Spot are parodies of mascots of popular snack foods.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Ralph was rejected from the bake-off because his sandwich consisted of grilled crayons and thumbtacks.
- Gilligan Cut: The contractor assures Marge that the new kitchen will be finished in three weeks. It takes two years.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Marge felt that she was doing this when she sabotaged the other entries. She even said Who's Laughing Now? while doing so.
- Oh Crap!: Chief Quimby, when Ralph mentions that his grilled crayon sandwich that he bit into has thumbtacks.
- So Last Season: The contestants considered Marge's dessert dogs 'So 90's'.
- The Talk: Homer gives this to Bart, and ends up scarring him and all the kids in town.
Homer: Well, it's better they hear it from me now, than from their parents when they're old enough.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Bart is seen in one after Homer tells him about 'the birds and the bees'.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Brandine's holiday "Alco-Hog" suddenly comes to life and pukes up the beer and candy canes it was stuffed with.
Brandine: Huh, I thought it was dead.