Belief is not a matter of choice, but of conviction.Jedi General Plo Koon and his fleet are sent to investigate the trail of a mysterious Separatist superweapon. When the Council loses connection with his fleet, they have to decide whether to send help and risk losing more men, or leave the possible survivors to their fate.
This episode provides examples of:
- A Father to His Men: Plo Koon.
- Activation Sequence: The first time the Malevolence fires its fleet disabling weapon, the order is given, battle droids activate the system as an electronic hum begins building up, and the emitter near the front of the ship begins to glow before firing a disk of electromagnetic energy that leaves its targets helpless.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The podhunter.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Apparently Kel Dor like Plo Koon can survive in space for a short time, with only their breathing masks protecting them.
- Exact Words: When Anakin and his fleet are ordered to protect military hyperspace-routes, he sends his fleet to the coordinates, but he himself leaves the fleet in a small ship with Ahsoka and R2, in order to search for survivors. He even Lampshades it to teach it to Ahsoka.
- Cloning Blues/Expendable Clone: Lampshaded by the clones themselves. Plo Koon tries to argue it, but the only reason they're saved is because Ahsoka refused to give up searching for him.
- Explosive Decompression: Averted and lampshaded by Plo Koon. Before leaving the space-pod, he orders his men to put on their helmets and follow him. He doesn't need any protection, because he can survive in space long enough to deal with a few droids.
- Internal Homage: When the ion cannon of the Malevolence is charging, droids are shown ducking away from the energy coursing through the tube, as the Death Star officers do when the superlaser fires on Alderaan in A New Hope.
- Latex Space Suit: Clone armour is revealed to be able to protect the clones for a short time in space.
- Outrun the Fireball: In this case, get out of the debris field from Master Plo's ships so the Twilight can jump to hyperspace safely before the ion cannon's giant ship-paralyzing wheel thingy reaches them.
- Parental Substitute: Plo Koon is revealed to be this for Ahsoka, as he was the Jedi who found her, and brought her to the Jedi Temple.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: One of the battle droids was humming the Imperial March, as they closed on Plo's escape pod.
- Something We Forgot: Subverted. When they tried to hide from the Malevolence's sensors, Plo had every system aboard the Twilight shut down, including R2. However they forgot about the medical droid treating the clone at the back of the ship...
- Space Is Noisy
- The Power of Friendship: Ahsoka was able to find Master Plo by sensing his presence in the Force, through the bond they have.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Malevolence's ion cannon.