Buffy looks for a mystical source behind her mother's illness, but finds out more than she bargained for.
First appearance of Glory
- Abandoned Warehouse
- Almost Dead Guy: The monk Buffy rescues from Glory lives just long enough to tell Buffy about the Key (though not why it's so important to Glory).
- Always Murder: Averted as Joyce's illness is entirely due to natural causes.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Giles bemoans the lack of customers, then gets swamped by more than he can handle.
- Bond One-Liner: Subverted; a sign of The Worf Effect is that Glory is delivering these while Buffy is hitting her.
- Book Ends: The episode opens with Buffy defeating a huge vampire with her usual Bond One Liners, and concludes with Buffy getting her ass kicked by a quipping Glory.
- Bound And Duct Taped
- Bratty Half-Pint: Dawn, even more than usual.
- Broken Heel: Glory breaks her heel chasing Buffy, stomps her foot in anger and ends up bringing the warehouse down on her head.
- Call Back: Giles' wizard outfit recalls the time Buffy was shocked to see him dressed as a Mexican with a sombrero.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Dagon Sphere is the first of several objects collected by the Scoobies which become useful in the season finale.
- Cosmic Ret Con
- Creepy Child: Dawn after Buffy's trance revelation.
- Description Cut
Giles: I just hope she isn't doing anything too rash. [Cut to Buffy getting her ass kicked by Glory]
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When Buffy does a meditative ritual to try to find out what's wrong with Joyce, it looks very much like she's getting high — she won't let Dawn into her room, burns incense and tries to cover it up by sticking a towel under the door, and afterward we see through her eyes and her sight is wonky. As Riley says beforehand, "Have a nice trip."
- Final Boss Preview
- Funny Background Event: Willow's attempts at gift-wrapping in the Magic Box.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Dawn hammers on the door while Buffy is trying to meditate.
Dawn: What are you doing?
Buffy: My boyfriend!
- Glamor Failure: The spell makes Dawn disappear, along with her picture in photos and all signs of her presence.
- He Who Must Not Be Named: Lampshaded by Giles, who points out that anything that goes unnamed is either an object of deep worship or great fear. Or both.
- Hypocritical Humor: Plenty of this from Glory.
- I Have a Family: Said by the watchman whom Glory mind-sucks.
- It's All About Me: Glory is raving to the Bound and Gagged monk, who for some reason is refusing to talk.
- Lame Comeback
Spike: And I never liked you anyway, and you have stupid hair.
- Leave the Camera Running: Buffy enters the Magic Box and see Giles wearing a Robe and Wizard Hat. She stares at him without speaking for a long moment until Giles gets the message and puts the costume away.
- Lotus Position: Buffy meditating.
- Mad Oracle: Buffy finds the security guard from the warehouse stark-raving and Strapped to an Operating Table; when he sees Buffy he shouts, "Don't think you're above it, missy. They come through the family! They get to your family!" This makes Buffy suspect that Joyce's illness may be due to supernatural causes.
- Madness Montage: Glory going crazy before we see her first Mind Rape.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels:
Anya: He had this one spell demons just hated called tirer la couture.
Buffy: "Rotate many foodstuffs"?
Willow: "Pull the curtain back."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Buffy takes the Dagon sphere away from the warehouse, allowing Glory to locate the monk.
- The Nicknamer: Spike tells off Buffy for "shagging Captain Cardboard".
- Oh, Crap: Buffy is confident right up to the moment Glory breaks her grip and backhands her across the room.
- Power Glows: The Scoobies are looking at the Dagon Sphere.
Giles: It appears to be paranormal in origin.
Willow: How can you tell?
Giles: Well, it's so shiny.
- Punched Across the Room
Glory: I believe you've got superpowers! That is so cool. Can you fly?
- Reality Ensues: Sorry, Buffy; magic isn't the reason behind your mom's brain tumor.
- Reality Warper: The Order of Dagon.
- Saying Too Much: Dawn does this deliberately by telling Riley that Buffy doesn't want to patrol with him because he's too weak, which incidentally makes him look cute and kitten-y.
- Sound Effect Bleep: Glory mouthes "Oh shit!" as the roof collapses on her.
- Stalker with a Crush: Buffy catches Spike lurking outside her house. A pile of cigarette butts show he's been there for some time.
- Stating the Simple Solution
Buffy: We need to find out who's making my mom sick and how.
Willow: Then what?
Buffy: Then I hunt them... find them... and kill them.
- Switch to English: The monks speak Czech as does Glory until she gets annoyed.
[in Czech] We're in the New World now, so please, for God's sake [in English] speak American!
- There Was a Door: Pretty much Glory's M.O. when she wants to make a Dynamic Entry.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
Buffy: "What are you doing here?"
Buffy: "Five words or less!"
Spike: (counting off his fingers) "Out... for... a... walk. (realises he still has a thumb) Bitch".
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Giles overwhelmed by customers.
Xander! There's too many of them... people! And they all seem to want things. Xander:
I hear ya. Stay British.
You'll be okay. [Pats Giles on the shoulder, then heads over to Anya] Xander:
The thousand-yard stare. Damn! You hate to see it on any man but especially in retail.
- The Worf Effect