Manga: Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki
Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki
is a slice-of-life seinen manga that tells the story of Kurona, a Cat Girl
youkai who alternates spending her time playing with her lecherous kappa friend Ikeno and other youkai, hanging out with her human friends, being scolded by the old crow tengu who oversees the region's spirits and demons, and sleeping in the lap of the elderly woman she found a home with.
Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki shows examples of:
- Badass Grandpa: The old crow tengu used to be revered as a god.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: The few occasions female characters are seen naked from the front without covering themselves there are - usually - no details.
- Cat Girl: Kurona's favourite form is that of a human girl with cat ears and a tail.
- Cute and Psycho: The Jorōgumo, who also happens to be a Shipper on Deck for Kurona and Daiki.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When in human form Kurona's hair is arranged in a neat bob. When her ears show, it becomes spiky and messy.
- Death Glare: Kurona, Koma, and Chika can dish out quite sinister glares when they get overly annoyed.
- Demonic Possession: Kokkuri-san possesses Chika by kissing her, temporarily transforming her into a kitsune.
- A Dog Named Dog: Most of the youkai are named after what they are.
- Everything's Cuter with Kittens: Kurona's cat form tends to get this reaction.
- Foot Popping: Chika pops her left foot up when kissing Kokkuri-san for the second time.
- Gag Nose: The crow tengu has one in his rarely-used human form.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: While ecchi humour isn't necessarily out of place in a seinen series, the fact remains that the human portion of the cast are at most in their early teens.
- Giant Spider: The Jorōgumo's true form is a house-sized arachnid.
- Glamour Failure: Kurona's ears and tail pop out, and Ikeno's human form lacks a bellybutton.
- Godiva Hair: Ibuki's side tails are long enough to censor her chest.
- Haunted House: The Seven Mysteries of the local elementary school compete to scare Kurona, Daiki, and Chika when the three of them wander inside during a thunderstorm. Unfortunately they didn't bank on one of them being a cat youkai and one of their own performing a Heel-Face Turn.
- Hellish Pupils: Kurona's pupils are vertical slits even in her human form, though no-one comments on this.
- Helping Hands: A kai-nade note tries to help itself to a handful of Chika's backside. Kokkuri puts her foot down on it, as does Chika... several times.
- Hot Springs Episode: Chapters 11 and 12 have the group stop off at a hot spring for youkai.
- Kitsune: Kokkuri-san is one, or at the very least closely resembles one.
- Laughably Evil: The possessed anatomy model who is the nominal leader of the elementary school's Seven Mysteries. Both times he shows up, he gets carried away in his attempts to frighten Daiki and pays for it, courtesy of Chika and Kokkuri-san.
- Love Freak: The Jorōgumo has an unhealthy obsession with the "forbidden love" between Kurona and Daiki.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Ikeno the Kappa almost never misses an opportunity to grope Kurona. He pays for it.
- Love Triangle: Between Kurona, a cat youkai; Daiki, one of a trio of elementary school boys who pester her; and Chika, the tsundere Class Representative who is terrified of ghosts and spirits.
- A Magic Contract Comes with a Kiss: Kokkuri can temporarily turn Chika into a kitsune, but in order to do so they have to kiss.
- Magic Pants: Kurona's clothes appear when she transforms into human form and disappear when she transforms into cat form.
- The Masquerade: The youkai are supposed to be "close but far away" from the humans, and the old crow tengu scolds Kurona for letting people see her with her ears and tail out.
- Meaningful Name: Kurona is a black cat.note Koma and Shishimaru also count, since komainu is what the lion-dog statues found outside temples are called in Japan, and shishi are what they are called in China.
- Miko: Koma and her brother Shishimaru both kinda dress like this and are lion-dogs whose original temple was demolished before being taken in by a priest.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Kurona's reflection is shown as a cat walking on its hind legs when she is in human form.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: A elderly youkai hunter and his assistant were caught in the act of pulling Kurona's panties down to verify that she was a real cat youkai by Daiki, Kappa, and a bunch of other youkai. The clincher: the assistant was butt-naked and the youkai hunter was holding a video camera.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ibuki the yukionna is a busty Biker Babe.
- Oh Crap: The living anatomy doll's reaction when he spots Chika in her kitsune form is to scream for help just before she dismembers him.
- Parental Abandonment: Kurona's owner abandoned her as a kitten, and she was taken in by the old tengu, who looked after her until she became a youkai. Because of this she initially states she hates humans, but her actions say otherwise.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: Kurona does not hesitate to use her claws on Ikeno when he tries to do perverted things to her.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: When Koma's and Shishimaru's original temple was destroyed they lost their divine status and their hair turned lanky and black, making the former look like a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Chika and Kokkuri-san, made creepy by the fact that the former is an elementary school student and the latter is a kitsune of unknown age.
- Secret Keeper: Chika, who is Tsundere on one hand but superstitious and terrified of spirits on the other, becomes this for Kurona when she saves her from being killed by a mirror youkai. It later gets to the point where yokai come to her asking for advice and help.
- The Seven Mysteries: The elementary school Chika and Daiki attend is haunted. The local Seven Mysteries are led by a possessed anatomy model who is obsessed with scaring people. The other notable member, Kokkuri-san, is a kitsune who has taken a... liking to Chika, the class representative.
- Sexier Alter Ego: Ikeno the Kappa's human form is actually pretty attractive... but he never uses it, even when he's around humans.
- The Shadow Knows: Kurona's shadow is either shown as having cat ears and a tail or being a monstrous cat.
- Shrinking Violet: Shishimaru is very timid and shy, in contrast to his brash and aggressive sister.
- Shipper on Deck: The Jorōgumo ships Kurona x Daiki like the Titanic, meaning that anyone who interferes is going down.
- Shout-Out: A fairly minor one, but one of the supporting characters is a female kitsune who can merge with her love interest by kissing, temporarily turning them into a kitsune in the process.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When Kawano the Kappa asks Kokkuri-san if she's a lesbian and in love with Chika, Kokkuri denies it vehemently. However, Ikeno managed to get photos of her taking Chika's presumably-used recorder out and playing it.
- Take That: Kurona laughs off Daiki's theory that she's an alien from the Cat Planet as being utterly ridiculous.
- The Tease: The Jorōgumo makes a scarf out of aphrodisiac threads for this express purpose.
- Token Good Teammate: Of the Seven Mysteries, the Ninomiya Kinjirou Statue is the only one to not engage in malicious behaviour and tries to warn Chika, Daiki, and Kurona about the others' plan.
- Token Yuri Girls: It's kinda obvious even in-universe that Kokkuri is romantically interested in Chika, who is mostly unwilling to reciprocate unless she requires Kokkuri's powers.
- Transformation Of The Possessed: Chika develops slitted pupils, claws, pointed ears, and a fox tail when possessed by Kokkuri-san.
- True Companions: Kurona and her Umbrella Ghost have been together ever since they were abandoned by their owner and became youkai together.
- Tsundere: Koma the lion-dog is a non-romantic Type A towards Kurona, and Chika is also a Type A towards Daiki.
- Urban Fantasy: Takes youkai from Japanese folklore and plops them down in a modern urban setting.
- Vague Age: It's not stated exactly how old the characters are, but Dakai and Chika attend the local elementary school, making it likely they're between 10 and 12 years old. Kurona appears to be a similar age as them.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Most youkai can assume a human or humanoid form at will. Kurona initially has difficulty keeping her ears and tail retracted.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Kurona the bakeneko and Koma the lion-dog.
- Youkai: There's dozens of types and more are introduced every chapter, although they're referred to as ayakashi.
- Zashiki Warashi: The old woman Kurona lives with thinks that her human form is one of these, due to her popping up to help with chores and then mysteriously vanishing.