open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the Manga ×××HOLiC, a Zashiki Warashi is represented as a character who developed feelings for the protagonist Kimihiro Watanuki.
- In the anime Mononoke, Zashiki Warashi were represented by small children who were killed in a brothel as a result of prostitution.
- In the manga Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan - Demon Capital/Nurarihyon no Mago ( Sennen Makyou ), there is a Zashiki Warashi named Yukari.
- In the manga and anime Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, the Hikikomori character Kiri Komori was thought to be a Zashiki Warashi by a classmate.
- In the anime Kimi ni Todoke, the protagonist was teased as a Zashiki Warashi when she was a child.
- In the manga Hell Teacher Nube, a Zashiki Warashi became attached to Nube-sensei.
- The main protagonist of the manga Waraenu Douji is a Zashiki Warashi.
- In Neko Musume Michikusa Nikki, the bakeneko Kurona is mistaken for a Zashiki Warashi while in human form by the old lady she lives with, due to showing up to help with chores and then mysteriously vanishing.
- A zashiki warashi appear in episode 9 of Someday's Dreamers. Yume is the only one who see her, and she help her find the disapeared old man she was looking for.
- The Touhou manga Wild and Horned Hermit has a chapter where Gensokyo's population of Zashiki Warashi leaves to find gainful employment in the Outside World. Yukari offers a replacement in the form of hobgoblins, but the idea never takes off because people can't get past their appearances. There's still a happy ending: the Zashiki Warashi return after a whilenote and get warm welcomes home, while the hobgoblins become part of the Scarlet Devil Mansion's staff. However, it looks like Yukari herself may have set the whole thing up — they are her spies in the Outside World and the Human Village...
- In The Zashiki Warashi Of Intellectual Village, one of the main characters is a zashiki warashi.
- There's one in the Japanese animated film Summer Days with Coo.
- In Hoozuki no Reitetsu the titular character finds two Zashiki Warashi in an abandoned house, and ends up bringing them to the King Enma's palace and caring for them like two little nieces.
- In the anime White Album, Zashiki Warashi is referenced many times.
- In Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, Nakai Chitose is the nakai (waitress) and innkeeper of Yuragi Inn.
- She appears as an NPC and attainable shikigami in Onmyōji. Frustrated by humans using her powers for their personal gain rather than regarding her as someone with thoughts and feelings like anybody else, when she is taken in by a widow who actually treats her like a normal child, she tries to keep her alive as long as she could.
- Zashiki Warashi appears as one of the many befriendable yokai in Yo-kai Watch. They're known as Gnomey in the English version.
- Marimari, the lead singer of the youkai band Shinimonogurui in Show by Rock!!, is a zashiki-warashi.
- In Enchanted in the Moonlight, the protagonist eventually discovers that Samon, the young man who tends her family's shrine, is actually a zashiki warashi.
- Zashiki Warashi are the eastern equivalent of changelings in "The Forsaken Children", having been taken by yokai.