Let's just say it's complicated.
The story revolves around Hades – combination of School Nurse
and Bad Ass Teacher
– starting at a new school and already managing to terrify the whole student body on his first day so badly, they start calling him a Shinigami. Throw in four Ordinary High School Students
and you’ve got your Five-Man Band
. Usually each chapter focuses on how someone in the school, sometimes outside, gets infected with a disease demon.
Hades then steps in and takes care of the byouma (otherwise known as "disease demons") by eating it/absorbing it into his body.
Often chapters are just about him trying to make the students like him. Hilarity Ensues
Now complete with a Character Page
Still Needs a Better Description
Provides Examples Of:
- Action Girl: Kaburagi
- Adorkable: Keiichi
- Ambiguously Brown: Keiichi
- Animal Eyes: Niburu has snake-like pupils.
- Badass Teacher: Obviously Hades-sensei. Also Mitogawa.
- Berserk Button: Threatening people in front of Hades is not a good idea.
- Big Fancy House: Fuji lives in one.
- Bishounen: Fuji is canonically the handsomest kid in school.
- Hades also fits this trope when his hair is black
- Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word: The president of the School Newspaper tries to blackmail Fuji, Senoo and Kaburagi.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In chapter 29, when Fuji asks Hades what happened, he says that they're 'out of pages this week'.
- In the next chapter, Ashitaba can be seen covering up curse words in the text bubbles of other characters.
- Catchphrase: Hades-sensei's "assimilation complete".
- Class Trip:
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Hades, though he acts like the moron part most of the time.
- Delinquents: Senoo
- Demonic Possession: Sort of the premise of the series.
- Defrosting the Ice Queen: In a way...
- Driven to Suicide: One of the side characters committed suicide, and her mother refused to accept it, leading to a rather nasty byouma gaining control...
- Ecchi: The series veers off in this direction sometimes.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Mitogawa dresses like she just stepped out of the Victorian era everyday.
- Eyes Always Shut: Fuji's older brother Sanzou keeps them closed most of the time and only opens them in surprise/to bitch out Fuji.
- Fanservice: The author tends to insert some fanservice in more humor-based chapters.
- Five-Man Band:
- The Faceless: Mitogawa in the early chapters.
- Freaky Friday Flip: There was a byouma that caused this in one chapter.
- Groundhog Day Loop: The byouma would rewind a specific period of time until its host "perfected its rehearsal".
- Healing Factor: Subverted. In chapter 31 it is mentioned that Hades can't use his dominant arm for a while as a result of the wound he sustained to his shoulder in an earlier chapter.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Senoo. He's better about it now, though.
- Hostage Situation:
- Lethal Chef: The kids mistake Kaburagi's chocolate for coal.
- Limited Wardrobe: Many characters wear only one uniform, no matter what.
- Don't forget Hades, he seems to only have two outfits.
- Literal Split Personality: One disease demon's effect; in this context the victim's emotions are split and driven out while the victim's real self is put to sleep. This poses a problem for Hades-sensei when Fuji contracts it, because he can't immediately use his power to help while Fuji's real self is empty and devoid of emotion.
- Love Letter Lunacy: Played with during the Valentines Arc. Fuji's desk was buried beneath the chocolate and flowers.
- Monster of the Week: Yep, yep, yep.
- Mysterious Past: So how did Hades-sensei come to possess a disease demon?
- Not What It Looks Like: Most interactions between Hades-sensei and Saizaki-sensei center around this.
- Older Than They Look: Mitogawa-sensei.
- Hades remarks in a chapter that 'her appearance hasn't changed at all for the past ten-odd years'. He seems find this perfectly acceptable and just says that 'women are really unbelievable'.
- Onsen Episode: Not quite an onsen, but it was a bath scene, complete with a peeker.
- Oh, and did this troper mention that there was a Skinship Grope going on above the peeker's head where he couldn't see?
- Ordinary High School Student: Actually middle school students.
- Otaku: Yasuda would do anything for his idol love, Atsuko.
- School Newspaper Newshound: Yamada and Yodobashi have a tendency to bend the truth a little.
- Painting the Medium: During Mimasaka's encounter with Melancholy Rousuke in chapter 27, the latter decides that using kanji while talking is annoying and asks if it's all right to speak only in hiragana from then on. He does it anyways, and his text switches to all-hiragana. (In English, it'd be visually similar to squishingtheletters together, like so.)
- Puppeteer Parasite: A lot of the byouma are like this.
- School Nurse: Hades-sensei is an uncommon male example.
- Ship Tease: In chapter 53, we got Kishibe Kagerou whom look A LOT like black-haired Hades crushing hard on his childhood friend, Midori whom just look like mini-Saizaki
- Shout Out: Several-
- Shrinking Violet: Hanamaki.
- Snowball Fight: Suberted. Mimisaka tried- however the arrival of a certain something had him and everyone else fleeing for their lives...
- Skiing for their lives more like it.
- Strangely Effective Disguise Hades and Mitogawa promoting a pachinko parlor. Surprisingly, no one said anything.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Kaburagi's (thankfully unrequited) crush on Hades-sensei.
- The Slacker: Fuji makes it his mission in life to put in as little effort as possible.
- Tomboy: Kaburagi. Predominantly as a child but she still has tendencies.
- She really tries to be more feminine, though usually without any result. She still follows karate lessons, or 'piano lessons' as she often dubs them.
- Tsundere: Saizaki-sensei
- Weirdness Censor: Averted with everyone panicking over the white hair of Hades, and realizing something is going on whenever a byouma strikes.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Subverted.
- Who You Gonna Call?: Hades is often called upon by students and the principal to solve problems. Justified in the fact he's one of the few people who can handle it, and he was hired for that reason.
- Yandere: Motoyoshi