Kinoshita Shinichirou is a normal 17-year-old teenage boy; he likes video games, doesn't have much of an idea of his future and really wants a girlfriend. His grandfather, meanwhile, is head of a multinational corporation that Shinichirou is set to inherit upon turning 18. Not liking the supposed lack of direction his grandson has shown, he moves him into a mansion, where he is greeted by eight extremely pretty, very friendly girls in maid dresses.His mind is promptly blown when they inform him that they are all his potential fiancées, there at his grandfather's bidding. And he must pick one within the year, but! No sex before the wedding, or the deal's off. If he fails to pick any girl, the deal is also off.Hachi Ichi is an Ecchi Seinen harem comedy that adds a refreshing amount of reality and intelligence to the standard plot by writing each girl as their own characters, each with unique motivations, and having the male react appropriately to the standard tropes.
- Accidental Pervert: Midori gets it out of the way with Ye Olde Walkeing Inn On His Bathe Scene. However, both are embarrassed, no-one gets megaton punched, and his frank and heartfelt apology means she has gotten over her nervousness around him as a result.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: He uses up a lot of tissues relieving his... tension.
- Balanced Harem: At the start, he has never seen the girls before in his life, so he must court them equally.
- Chivalrous Pervert: On the one hand, he's surrounded with beautiful girls who can't help but excite him. On the other hand, he shows as much restraint as (or more than) the girls themselves.
- Cosplay: Nana thinks of her maid costume being "like cosplay". Normally she dresses down to avoid attention.
- Date Peepers
- Ecchi: Shinichirou is not allowed to have sex with the girls; this doesn't exclude everything else. Technically, he shouldn't even touch them, but the girls have other ideas.
- Idiot Ball: Generally avoids it. Shinichirou is a fairly savvy young man, but he still gets things wrong or allows his hormones to lead. He also decides to talk to them before anything, simply to get to know them.
- As he's a virgin who hasn't dated, though, he's still pretty clueless about sex and dating. And as the girls are virgins too, so are they.
- Imagine Spot
- Mood-Swinger: Yui's crying over several different things in the space of a few pages.
- Raging Stiffie
- Reality Ensues: He feels pressured by their declaration that they chose him, and quickly catches on to the possibility of the girls liking him solely for his money. Also, despite the maid implications, he has to do the chores alongside them.
- Sibling Rivalry
- Those Two Guys: His school friends. One's The Casanova (who has to be steered away from going after the candidate in his class), the other's a gaming otaku.
- Unwanted Harem: Invoked in the most blatant way possible - his grandfather stocked the house with girls to fit a boatload of moe archetypes. There's the tomboyish athlete, the ojou, the up-and-coming cute and chubby girl, a (realistic) tsundere, the glasses-wearing bifauxnen, an insecure, shy and quiet girl, a very forward cutie and a scary genki girl. The girls were also briefed with the most intimate details of Shinichirou's life, and some aren't above forcing his consent.