"You're Not My Type"
aka: You Are Not My Type
A rebuff for unwanted sexual advances that is designed to make it clear that the speaker isn't interested in what the person they are addressing has to offer. In many cases, this Stock Phrase
is used to get the addressee out of the speaker's hair, or to indicate that the character on the receiving end is too good
(or not good enough
) to spark their desire. A common retort may be "You have a type?", especially if the original speaker is known to be the type that Really Gets Around
Needless to say, this is quite often Played for Laughs
In some cases, though, this trope may be used to ratchet up the creepy factor when a rapist or paedophile has captured the protagonist. While the phrase spoken in this manner highlights the particular perversions of the villain in question, it can also serve as a means to relieve the audience that, while the villain may have some violent plans in mind for the hero, an on-screen sexual assault is not imminent.
If the addressee doesn't take the hint, this may lead to an Unrequited Love Lasts Forever
situation. If the character on the receiving end is the protagonist, it is not uncommon to have a Hooked Up Afterwards
reveal later on.
See Stock Phrase
. Compare All Love Is Unrequited
, Incompatible Orientation
, and Dude, She's A Lesbian
A supertrope of Sorry, I'm Gay
, in which the phrase is used as part of The Reveal
that a character is gay or lesbian (whether or not said statement is actually true.) Note that if a gay or lesbian character is talking to someone of their preferred gender but they're still
not interested from some other reason, the example would instead be a part of this trope.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Played perfectly straight with this T-shirt, which tells on-lookers that they are not your type in 13 different languages, including sign language. (Be forewarned, for those wishing to rush out and buy it, the sign language on the shirt is... well, pretty direct.)
- Being fingerspelled English rather than pure American Sign Language doesn't make it any more polite, either. Although it's oddly clever, as simply knowing how to sign any version of "Not interested" can be an attractant...
- In The Alphabet Killer, when the eponymous serial rapist/murderer (who happens to only target pre-teen girls with Alliterative Names) captures the female cop who has been hunting him, he laughingly says this while driving to the place he plans where he plans to kill her and dump her body.
- In the 2007 Nancy Drew movie, Ned is worried Nancy will fall for someone else, telling he had a dream where she forgot about him for "the guy from Smallville" Her attempt to console him doesn't work.
Nancy: Don't worry about that guy from Smallville. He's not my type.
- From Casino Royale:
Bond: Don't worry, you're not my type.
- Played for Laughs in this exchange between the acerbic pair in Six Days Seven Nights:
Quinn Harris: If it makes you feel any better you're not my type.
Robin Monroe: Oh good, why?
Quinn Harris: You talk too much. You're opinionated. You're stubborn, sarcastic, and stuck up! Your ass is too narrow and your tits are too small.
Robin Monroe: Hey, you wanna know why you're not my type?
Quinn Harris: Nope.
- Inverted in the first Shrek film, as the eponymous character (an ogre, though his features are obscured by armour and soot) rebuffs Princess Fiona's claims that, as her hero, he must be her true love:
Donkey: With Shrek? Whoa, whoa, whoa... You think, you think that Shrek is your true love?
Fiona: Well... Yes.
[Shrek and Donkey look at each other and burst into laughter]
Fiona: What is so funny?
Shrek: Let's just say, I'm not your type. Alright?
Fiona: Well of course you are. You're my rescuer.
- The Master of Disguise has one of these early in the film, where the hero Pistachio (yes, that's his name) meets a girl named Sophia.
Live Action TV
- Not The Reveal, but on The Commish one of the officers is outed as gay and the others start giving him a hard time. At one point he says to his police partner, "What, are you afraid I'm gonna come on to you? News flash, you're not my type."
- In Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined): Admiral Cain has her former lover Gina imprisoned, tortured and raped for being a Cylon. When Gina confronts her Cain says "Frak You", and Gina does this as a Pre-Mortem One-Liner. Given the Foe Yay between the two in this scene, their relationship was later Ret Conned so that Gina was her type.
- LOST had a semi-infamous instance where Tom of the Others tells Kate that she wasn't "his type". It took the show a while, but it finally officially confirmed that, yes, he was gay.
- In the 1980's cop show Hunter, a Bounty Hunter shows an interest in Hunter's partner Dee Dee McCall. Hunter tell him curtly, "She's not your type." The bounty hunter smirks and says they're all his type.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In the evil Mirror Universe, Mirror!Worf is keeping Mirror!Garak chained up as his prisoner. Garak complains that when he served Intendent Kira as least he was able to "please her" (it's clear he means sexually). Worf yanks him close and growls in his ear, "You are not my type."
- CSI NY: Aiden does this to Danny, though without the exact phrase.
Aiden: I'm way outta your league, Messer.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- In the first season of Angel, Kate's father suggests the possibility of Kate and Angel getting together. Kate responded, "He's not my type. Or I'm not his. There's definitely a type involved, and it's the wrong one." Quite probably a Stealth Pun referring to blood typing.
- In the first episode of Danger 5, two of our heroes are getting beaten up by Hitler's Bodyguard Babes, then Pierre (The Casanova of the team) is shown chatting up the woman who's supposed to be fighting him. When the rest of Danger 5 burst in and shoot the women, Pierre takes a submachine gun off them and casually her down, saying this line.
- On Seinfeld, Jerry dates a woman who is revealed to have dated and been dumped by Newman; the only reason he gives for why he dumped her was, ‘She wasn’t my type.’ It drives Jerry mad that he’s dating a woman that even Newman found unacceptable.
- Friends: This is Monica's response to Chandler suggesting he could be her boyfriend, stating she needs someone older and more mature. Despite that, a year later they become intimate, as well as the-longest running couple of the gang, even becoming Happily Married.
Monica: "I need someone like Richard or Pete. Someone older...mature."
Chandler: "Oooh, am I not mature enough for you." *Beat*
- In the JRPG Knights Of Xentar, One character responds to the seductive advances of a Cat Girl with "Sorry, not my type. Or species."
- In Liberal Crime Squad, when failing a seduction attempt, one of the possible response from the target is: "You're not my type, I like the sane".
- In Knights of the Old Republic, Juhani and Dak Vessar's falling out was started this way. Dak told Juhani that he was in love with her. She told him she couldn't return his feelings. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though Juhani was able to explain (or that Dak could comprehend) why—it's strongly implied that Juhani is a lesbian.
- In Mass Effect 3, this is how Samantha Traynor rejects male Shepard if he tries to flirt with her.
- Archer is delighted to get a "Honeypot" mission (seducing an enemy agent) until he finds the target is a gay male Cuban agent. Archer blatantly comes on to him in an outfit that would be an embarrassment at a Pride parade, and the Cuban, a suave gentleman, rejects him outright, saying "You're not my type". Naturally, Archer is offended and yells "I am everyone's type!"