When a top is short enough or strategically cut to show the undersides of the breasts it's known as Underboobs. This is the standard outfit for females in loose-fitting armor in pulp fantasy. It is possibly the most impractical outfit for fighting, ever
, as it leaves vital organs exposed. Particularly when the top is loose-fitting.
This sort of top needs the aid of tape to stay in place, other than in drawn examples.
A type of Fanservice
, naturally. Will always imply Vapor Wear
and is almost always coupled with Bare Your Midriff
Underboobage is also known as shitapai
, neathage, reverse cleavage, or Australian cleavage (as in, "Down Under".
The underside of a breast is almost never seen in public in Real Life
(seeing as how breathing
wrong could risk exposure) and thus audiences aren't used to seeing it, in theory making it sexier for being unexpected and rarely shown.
Compare Absolute Cleavage
, Impossibly-Low Neckline
. See also Theiss Titillation Theory
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Harribel, the Hot Arrancar Espada displays this.
- Also the former Espada Neliel, though it only appears because of her suddenly transforming from her child form to that of an adult Arrancar. In contrast to Halibel, her day wear while she was an Espada was, by female Arrancar standards, an extremely modest pantsuit.
- Lieutenant Rangiku Matsumoto's bikini during the anime filler Beach Episode #228.
- Sei from Burst Angel.
- Amane in episode 8 of Tenchi Muyo! GXP is full of this trope.
- Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess - The Movie. While receiving an antivirus "vaccine" from Heaven, her clothes and bodily form begin to dissolve starting at her midriff, revealing the virus contained within her body core.
- Kan'u Unchou from Ikki Tousen had her school outfit too short.
- Lucy in Fairy Tail. A lot.
- The outfit Theodora from Mahou Sensei Negima! wears under her cloak qualifies.
- Naru of Love Hina had this during the Pararakelse arc.
- Yoko's bikini top in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Miyo Takano in the first episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei.
- From Macross Frontier, one of Sheryl Nome's favorite Idol Singer outfits consists of a hat, a miniskirt (with suspenders,) boots, and a tube top.
- Maiya Kokuchouin in Get Backers.
- Chris Tasker from Zoids: New Century has an outfit with an open front down to past her navel.
- Code Geass:
- In Soul Eater when four of the Mizune sisters combine together they turn into a woman whose outfit shows some underboob. Though technically this part would be covered were it not that one of the Mizune sisters was killed.
- Quite often in the later manga volumes of Kochikame when portraying Reiko and Maria in skimpy outfits within chapters or concept art.
- Lyrical Nanoha
- Mimete of The Witches 5 from Manga/Sailor Moon's S series.
- Nadia of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water tends to reveal the underside of her breasts when she adjusts her bandeau top, which naturally catches Jean's eye, which in turn triggers Nadia's Tsundere tendencies.
- In Dog Days, Yukikaze and Adelaide's swimsuits both feature this.
- In Kill la Kill, Ryuko Matoi sports this when her sentient uniform Senketsu transforms into its armor form.
- Sadi-chan's devil-themed Dominatrix outfit from the Impel Down arc in One Piece has this.
- An early cover for the comic Animal Mystic featured the heroine in an outfit with a circle cut out of the midriff to display reverse cleavage.
- Madeline Pryor of the X-Men during her stint as the Goblyn Queen.
- Fly Girl from DC Comics' Major Bummer series.
- The story "Shadowjack" in The Illustrated Roger Zelazny has this with one of Vara's costumes.
- Several of Power Girl's particularly hideous costumes had this as a feature, until she went back to the usual Boob Window.
Live Action TV
- The album cover of Chocolate and Cheese by Ween.
- Sometimes Meiko or Haku is seen sporting one of these shirts.
- Megpoid's extend designs.
- "Underboob" by Possible Oscar praises this.
- The opening scene of David Lee Roth's video for California Girls has a couple of models in a store in the upper half of tank tops. When Beavis And Butthead see the video, Butt-Head remarks how he likes it when he can see "the bottom of the thingies".
- "Don't speak" by No Doubt features an underboob shot of singer Gwen Stefani.
- The video of "Bad Romance" features Lady Gaga in a jeweled...thing on top, with a kind of rhinestone fishnet sheet on the rest of her upper body.
- The Zaulia in Brutal Legend.
- Dizzy from Guilty Gear.
- Christie Monteiro's outfit in Tekken 5, as she was supposed to be dressed as a Brazilian dancer. Capoeira's nickname is "The Brazilian Dance of Death", not that actual capoeira fighters dress like dancers...
- Death from the Magical Drop series.
- The Soul Series:
- Psycho for Hire Tira and her... green... bodysuit... thing.
- Seong Mi-Na has been sporting underboobage since III.
- Mortal Kombat has Mileena sporting this trope.
- In WWF No Mercy, one of Terri Runnells' 4 costumes had underboobs.
- Makoto from BlazBlue shows this when wearing her combat outfit. Mu-12 displays a bit of this too.
- Aoi Shiro has Kaya's whose coat plays the trope straight.
- Leisure Suit Larry 6: Cavaricchi Vuarnet's (the fitness instructor) T-shirt. If you keep grabbing at it, eventually you'll trigger an Easter Egg where Larry lifts the T-shirt... and she kills you right after.
- Poison from Final Fight. Never mind that she's actually a guy with breasts implants who may or may not have gotten a sex change operation.
- Leslie from Arc Rise Fantasia had this in her original character design, but this was covered up in a slight revision of her outfit later in development.
- The Sorceress of Diablo II has such an outfit while she is not wearing any armor.
- Whiptail in Heavenly Sword wears a costume that shows the underside of one of her breasts.
- Anesthesia's Flight Attendant-themed Superstar Outfit in Rumble Roses sports some.
- In the sequel to No More Heroes, Charlie MacDonald shows up with an entire troop of cheerleaders with shirts short enough to display this very prominently.
- Deus Ex has several (oft-repeated) female models showing underboob.
- One of the group collages in the official art for Azure Dreams (used on the cover of the OST among others) has Nico display this.
- Alisa of God Eater Burst wears a sleeveless crop top that leads to this. In the sequel manga The 2nd Break and God Eater 2, her new uniform still does this because it conveniently has to be zipped downwards and can't be zipped further down her chest. This was lampshaded by her Instant Fanclub.
- Hermes Gberardini from Chaos Code has a top with a cut out.
- Several of the Malifaux miniatures, especially Taelor, Lady Hammerstrike.
- The Neo-Anarchists' Guide to Real Life had a prostitute wearing a tank top with this feature.
- Magic in the Shadows. An illustration portrays a spirit of the voudoun loa Erzulie this way.
- Dungeons & Dragons adventure G1-3 Against The Giants. In the "Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl" section, there's an illustration of a female fighter with this odd style choice.
- Avalanche Press' d20 supplement Aztecs: Empire of the Dying Sun. ALL of their early 2000's d20 supplements featured some gratuitous T&A slapped on top of some moderately well-researched material, but this was one of the more improbable looking covers.
- Last Unicorn Games' Dune Chronicles Of The Imperium Core Game. An illustration of a harem on page 8 showed a slave girl with this.
- After her Heroic BSOD, Fury, from the Global Guardians PBEM Universe, took to wearing a black-thong-bikini-and-halter costume. The "halter" part was little more than a strip of black cloth that showed off the underboob quite nicely.